NOS Mallory caps in this rhodes preamp. What type?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skiroy

I have a 1975 rhodes suitcase. I was having a static problem which I narrowed down but before I did I change a Cap I thought may have been problematic. I replaced it with the same size cap provided by Vintage Vibes pre amp rebuild kit. I compared the left channel to the Right side. There is most definitely a Tonal difference,not for the better, I dont care what anyone says. So now I would like to try and track don Caps as close to the originals as possible opposed to the generic cheap Caps in the VV rebuild kits.

So I attached a picture of the preamp. Does anyone know any info on these Caps as far as what materials are inside and if it is possible to find these or ones as closest to them as possiable. The outside of them are white plastic and some say Mallory but I am assuming they are all Mallories because they appear to be constructed all the same.
Thankx

Attachments

• JCee 021.jpg
    JCee 021.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 28
Use a cap checker to make sure old one and the replacement are the same value. That might have been the difference you heard, as old caps definitely can drift. I really doubt that a cap brand change would make that big of a difference, relatively speaking. I usually just use Orange Drops so I don't have to worry about such things.

those white ones are aluminium electrolytic capacitors and like pH said: They drift over time and the drift can be pretty big. So indeed check the old one. The tonal differences that happen from these drifts are in my opinion the biggest factor why some people certain vintage pieces.

greetings,

Thomas

Latest posts

Back