tannoy monitor gold problem

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Flinn

I am going to be looking at a pair of Tannoy Monitor golds, that are non functional after a being used at a party.

Just wondering if anyone has experiences with faults on these drivers, what to look for since I'm not that familiar with the dual concentirc drivers.

Also can anyone recommend a quality repairer in the UK ?

It's not uncommon for the surrounds to deteriorate and people get them done ,
if that's what it is , it's something you may have had to do anyway .
Locally there's fellow who does them and he builds power amps so I don't think
it's too hard ,  good luck & happy discovery

I have a 10" pair , Great mid range but they need a little help on the top & bottom

Rob Flinn said:
I am going to be looking at a pair of Tannoy Monitor golds, that are non functional after a being used at a party.

Just wondering if anyone has experiences with faults on these drivers, what to look for since I'm not that familiar with the dual concentric drivers.

Also can anyone recommend a quality repairer in the UK ?

Rob, are they the original Monitor Golds (made between '67 and '74), or a later version with similar name, such as the Little Golds or Super Golds?

If they are the original series, 'non-functional' suggests that they are completely blown - unless the small 4-pin plugs that the connect crossovers to the drivers have come loose in both cabinets, which seems unlikely.

The original Monitor Golds do not deteriorate at the surround as okgb says - he must be thinking of the HPD's which immediately followed the Golds in the mid-70's and have a foam surround which needs replacing every 15 years or so.

If these have been blown, imo it is nothing short of a criminal act, but they can be rebuilt. The best place to contact is Lockwood Audio.

http://www.lockwoodaudio.co.uk/tannoy.htm

Best,

Dan

that are non functional after a being used at a party.
(facepalm)
both drivers and both Hi and Lo ??? what a party  :eek:

imo it is nothing short of a criminal act
+1

what size are these speakers ? 10" , 12" or 15" ?

the tannoy yahoo group is a good ressource for asking questions regarding older tannoy drivers.
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/tannoy/
also
http://www.hilberink.nl/speaker.htm
maybe they an help
http://reconingspeakers.com/

The drivers in question are LSU/HF/12/8.  WHich I think are the original versions.  I haven't had a chance to inspect them yet, but am suspecting they are quite damaged, although I'm hoping it's something cheap for the owners sake, like something in the crossover.

Rob Flinn said:
The drivers in question are LSU/HF/12/8.  Which I think are the original versions.

Yes, those are the original 12" drivers. Rated at up to 30w RMS, depending on type of enclosure. With modern 'party' amps today, it is no surprise that they blew, but they must have sounded amazing just before it happened.

I haven't had a chance to inspect them yet, but am suspecting they are quite damaged, although I'm hoping it's something cheap for the owners sake, like something in the crossover.

Sadly, there is nothing in the crossover that melts before the voice-coil does. The crossovers are designed to handle much more power than the drivers. If you are lucky, something fell off - but it's not likely.

Lockwood will recone them. They might sell kits if you want to do it yourself, but I'm not sure.

Rob Flinn said:
Thanks for the tips.

I was reading that the HF diaphram is not too difficult to replace oneself, but I suspect that both voice coils are dead in both speakers.

That's true. I have a pair and blew one of the HF drivers soon after I got them (15 years ago now). You could still get a replacement HF driver in those days from Tannoy. Cost me about 60GBP IIRC. Very easy to replace.

Cheers

Ian

the fact that both the LF and HF driver went is unusual.  :eek:  It is possible though.  Test the each driver LF and HF using a multi meter for Ω. They they are blown it should test open, If they have voice coil warp or melt then they will test with a ultra high Ω like in the kΩ area. If they are fine, you should read anywhere from 4-32Ω on the average

if you can get them, Tannoy's recone kits are good and easy to use. I used to recone their stuff when I worked for the swedish distributor.
the kits comes with the right type of glue and a fixating guid for the voicecoil, so it is allmost impossible to not get the center right...if you're brave enough, it is quite easy work. the hardest part is geting the old glue off the basket...
just a thought
J

I hope you can get them fixed up and running. I love those speakers, having recorded and mixed with both 12" amd 15" monitor golds that were made in the early 70"s, it is definitely worth having them fixed. Very flat/neutral sounding speakers. They take up a fair bit of room if they are in original cabinets, but that's asmall price to pay for nice old wooden cab housed speakers.

Back