Troubleshooting Drawmer SP2120 limiter

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thuneau

Hi, I'm new here, but not new to pro audio. Great forum- awesome projects.
I hope you can help me troubleshoot this Drawmer limiter I recently acquired. It's a SP2120 Speaker Protector- hard limiter with very limited set of controls- input gain, output level is all you get. Fixed are threshold, ratio and there is some type automatic release. It sounds very good as a rather transparent limiter. It's definitely a good VCA design- as expected from Drawmer.
Here is the little problem I have with it. The gain reduction LEDs turn off with a slight tick in audio. If the material played through it is harmonically rich- like a complete mix you can't hear the artifacts, but with a single instrument going through it, the sustain part of sound, once limited, with come out of limiting with the little gremlins just audible. Each tick in audio coincides perfectly with a red gain reduction LED turning off.
Is this something you have seen/heard before? Is it an easy fix? I have no schematics for the unit.

Latest posts

Back