Lorlin Orientation Question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siegfried Meier

Hey guys,

Out of curiosity, does it matter which way to stick a switch like a lorlin into a PCB, such as the GSSL control board for instance.  I always assumed that they were interchangeable, and still "switched" as they should in circuit, but someone is telling me otherwise now...

Thanks!
Sig

Nick Franklin said:
If the shafts of your switches are round, then it actually doesn't matter which way you orient the switch. It will matter if you're using D shaped shafts and your knobs need to go on a certain way... but then, even that can be kind of gerry rigged up! Try to wrap your head around how this style of switch works and all will become clear.

A 2-pole, 6 position lorlin style switch for example:

nqvfq9.jpg

In the first position, pole 'A' is connected to pin '1', and pole 'C' is connected to pin '7'
Turn the switch one position clockwise and pole 'A' is now connected to pin '2', and pole 'C' is connected to pin '8'.
Turn the switch another position to the right and pole 'A' is now connected to pin '3' and pole 'C' is now connected to pin '9'.

You get the picture. All the stopping nut you put in does is physically stop the switch going further than a certain number of positions.

Here's a diagram of a 4 pole/3 pos switch, try to get how that works too...

2zia436.jpg

NOW... orientation.

Try to imagine in your head turning the whole thing upside down. All that has happened is 'A' is now 'C', and 'C' is now 'A'. '1' is now '7', '7' is now '1'. None of this matters to the electronics of course, the letters and numbers are there for our communication only.

Moral of the story? Stick lorlin switches in whichever way you like :)

Hope that helps.

NF.

This is pretty much what I thought...

Latest posts

Back