"Rupy" Neve -> New Protos in Kitchen ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stopped using those breadboard gadgets decades ago,, there are several pF of capacitance between rows of holes that can impact sensitive circuits, and over time the connections can come loose or intermittent. With some ICs you have no control over what pins are in adjacent rows.

While YMMV.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
I stopped using those breadboard gadgets decades ago,, there are several pF of capacitance between rows of holes that can impact sensitive circuits, and over time the connections can come loose or intermittent. With some ICs you have no control over what pins are in adjacent rows.

While YMMV.

JR

Is there any alternative for protos?

warpie said:

Design your PCB with enough flexibility. Later, if you feel necessary, take out the debug related parts of the circuit.

I also dislike breadboards. When you have something awesome sounding on the table temptation is to just put it in a box, rack it and start using it. With a "proto PCB" you can do this.

But the dedication of r2d2 is admirable, building whole projects like this.

warpie said:
JohnRoberts said:

While YMMV.

JR

Back in the day, when I was doing all through hole stuff,  I designed up some general purpose PCBs with a standard pattern of holes on common DIP IC spacing, so I could load up any number of dual or quad opamps, cmos logic chips whatever... Plenty of spare holes and lands to stick passive parts. I breadboarded lots of stuff and several products with those standard boards.

Nowadays with the silly small SMD parts with pads on the bottom or whatever, I just about have to lay out a dedicated PCB to start troubleshooting a design.

I just got in a proto board in the other day I laid out containing some 25 SMD ICs, without bread boarding a single circuit.... hope it works, but this is my test platform.. If this works we can make a full sized one... :) If it doesn't work we'll know what to change. :-(

JR

Judging by the big ass inductor, I would guess an EQ as well...

I'm seeing a pattern with all the output transistor pairs...

I would be very surprised to learn that "Rupy" has a bench, except in his church.  He stopped doing actual design decades ago before the 80 series.  His life has been away from the factory, well, factories.  He certainly was there adding oregano to the sauce, but no proto bench.
Mike

although i agree that he probably isnt breadboarding anything these days, from what Ive heard he is intimately involved in the design.

I tried that with a small SMD class D audio chip... I couldn't pull it off... Actually i did pull some leads off trying.

I used to grow 3-D bread boards as parts tacked onto circuits expanded vertically.  Not any more too small.

JR

warpie said:

Something like this, perhaps? I've used these guys and they work reasonably well. Glue one onto a piece of copperclad for a ground plane. You'll need to be clever about wires between boards.

9161.jpg

Another option is to do an etched board.

-a

(Wow, that picture is big)

Nice , that would almost work.. the chip I was first trying to bread board had a heat sink pad on the bottom...  I also use a LED driver with a finer lead pitch than that...

IMO the IC manufacturers should make a simple break out PCB available through their sample program... Not a full blown demo board, just a simple way to make practical connections to the leads, so a manufacturer would only have to invest in one BO adapter per chip package they use.

JR

Latest posts

Back