Wolf-in-sheeps-clothing microphone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebra50

Had some fun over the last week or two. This is what I've been up to:

EVtube3.jpg

At a glance it looks like an old EV velocity ribbon mic, but hold on! What's that glinting away under the hood? Looks like gold....

EVmic4.jpg

Undress it a little - there's a tube in there - and a lundahl!

EVtube2.jpg

Very simple circuit with our favourite small tube. Black electro caps are for local B+ and heater supply filtering. NOS Mullard 'Mustards' metal&film for the capacitors in the audio chain. There is no cap between the capsule and grid. I pulled inspiration from royer, gyraf G7 and a few other places. Note the star ground in the middle.

EVtubePSU1.jpg

Power supply is slightly unusual. There are switches to vary the capsule polarisation voltage (30-60V in 10 V steps) and (regulated) heater voltage (5 - 6V) for experiments. Looks a bit crazy with huge ugly power supply trannies and caps - one of the rules for this build was that I could only use things that I had in the cupboard or shed (can't afford to buy bits at the moment) - this is all recycled or leftover stuff. The two transformers step the AC down to 12 V for the heater circuit and then back up to 120V for the B+ etc - just like the gyraf method.

The polarisation switch was based on an idea from Gus a while back. It is a pretty neat way of changing the sensitivity of the mic. It works well.

EVtubePSU2.jpg

Mic and supply back together. The mic sounds pretty good to my ears actually - I'm pretty sure I can here the sound of the grill/body, but it seems 'musical' to my ears. I think the body and the mustard caps give it quite an unusual sonic character. And it is pretty quiet in terms of noise too.

I'll draw up some bits of the circuit and scan it soon.

NB: No microphones were hurt in this project - some twat had ripped out the inside of the EV mic a long time ago. I got it as a shell for some fun - this is the fun :grin:

OK!
Stewart

Cheers Jakko!

As you can see, the circuit is wired point-to point but I've used a piece of perspex/plexiglass to make a board to support the components & hold it all together.

z50

Thank you Gus!

Actually the grill assembly on these old ribbon mics kind of reminds me of your square mic - straight angles but not parallel.

I'm going to do some tests with the tube heaters to see if I can really tell the difference.

Stewart

Hi Rob,

It's just one of the chinese ones - either from the soundking buy or pulled from another mic. I'm toying with buying it something better but, to be honest, I think the sound will be dominated by the grill shape so I probably won't bother.

Stewart

Hi Stewart,

That does look supercool!

So that's the "hottie" you were talking about- and this is why you needed the LM317 info. Excellent project, and good motives- i.e. recycle a great mic body, and create a project from things you've got lying about- and do a bit of experimenting too. Sounds like the perfect New Year project when you're skint!

Have fun tracking with it,

:thumb:

Mark

Thanks!

Mark - yup, that''s what all the LM317 questions were about. The voltages matched that calculator pretty damn well - it's so nice when the theory works.

Here's a partial schematic - just the stuff in the mic body. The PSU is by the book - very similar to the G7 with just the addition of the variable polarisation & heater voltage.

z50EVtubeMic.gif

Stewart

[quote author="adrianh"]
I will need to report you to the PETM group.

"People for the Ethical Treatment of Microphones"[/quote]

:green:

Anyone want to send me a mic for repair? :wink:

It's a beautiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie!
oh aye! Ta, matey. And it is I that is not worthy.... :wink:

What was the tube again?
Didn't I say? Submarine pentode, Dave Royer style! Just use what you have or can get cheap!

Cheers!
z50

[quote author="Gold"]I just wish the title could have been wolf-in- schoeps-clothing[/quote]

:green: :green: :green:

LMFAO! I wish I'd though of that....

Latest posts

Back