Wolf-in-sheeps-clothing microphone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't usually do sound clips - -too subjective - but here's a quick mp3 of me plonking on my favourite guitar into the wolf mic, in my living room.

The signal path is guitar; wolf mic about 18 inches away pointing around the neck region; m-box, protools on mac. No plugs, no eq, no compression, no nothing. iTunes to get from aiff to mp3.

http://www.omnipressor.com/MP3/SleepSafe.mp3

(800kb mono mp3 track)

The guitar is a 1940's Emile Grimshaw Revalation - kind of a very primative wooden resonator guitar. Look carefully - you can see a second wooden body at the back surrounding the 'main' body.

EmileGrimshaw.jpg

If you listen really closely you can hear the cat snoring on the sofa.

Zzzzzzzz

[quote author="jrmintz"]
Everybody's a critic!

:green:[/quote]

:green:

Snoring is not too bad - we get physical violence from the cat if we whistle!

ouch

ta!

yes, it's the same guitar. It has a very distinctive sound to it which is why I like it. The track is not the greatest take (suspect tuning and drifting at the end), but I think the mic is capturing the character of the instrument well, which is what it's about.

Great work on that Microphone, the Mp3 comes thru, really nice ambiance and presence from your microphone. Nicely balanced bottom and top end tone.

What brand of 5840 tube is in use here ? what is preferred ?

Like the song played on the Guitar too, complements !!!

Thank you!

From the photo I can read 'YLV' on the tube in green so it is a sYLVana brand. But I have a pile of different tubes - Sylvs, GE and some unbranded ones. I haven't noticed any major difference between them, although I have not done extensive AB testing. Just buy whatever type is available and kick out the very occasional dodgy one (I have had one microphonic one).

Stewart

I missed this thread the first time around too, and I never saw Gus' thread on the switchable voltages either.

This a really cool project. Great work!

Excellent mic!!! :thumb:

I'm curious to know more about the "mustard" color caps (mullard, right?)

They're everywhere in my revox RTR and I just want to know what the word is on them - No complaints on how they sound in my case, but I want to know why someone would choose these for a particualr purpose vs. some other type, or is it just a function of what was available at the time?

Frank

Personally, I like the mullard/mustard caps. Got a small handful of them NOS from a local tech. I cut one open - they are rolled metal foil and polymer film, but I'm not sure which polymer type - possibly polyester from the size-to-value relationship. I try them anywhere that you would use another metal-and-film cap.

I measured a few and they hold their value with age, although there is no reason to expect anything else.

funny i should stumble over this thread.
i bought an EV V2a ("ribbon mic: AS IS") on ebay a year ago, me thinks..
actually glad when i opened it up and found out it wasn't a ribbon mic.

so unless Electro Voice actually made the V2a with a dynamic capsule, i guess mine was also modded at some point.
caps, wires etc.. looks to be as old as the mic though...
wish i could post pics here.

btw - it sounds great, and the capsule itself is about 3" wide. pretty sweet looking and sounding mic. :)

Latest posts

Back