RED BOXES part 4 [compressor] NEW! Noise info

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrissugar

This is the continuation of the RED BOXES series, the first three parts at the old, nonexisting forum. :sad:
I have four new projects, two of them are here and the next two at mid february.
The first is the SSL type comp. Thank you Jakob, very nice work. It was the easyest project untill now. It took an afternoon to stuff four main boards and four control boards with components, measurements and soldering. 😁

chrissugar

Last edited:
Great stuff and inspiration!
:thumb:
Did you use any pc program to make the drawings for the metalwork involved or just crafty handwork?

Tony

Thank you all for the nice words.

Jakob, you are a real hero. Your projects made many people happy. You give them the possibility to learn and to have some nice studio gear. I hope all the good will come back to you. I have to admit that I made only two projects from yours but each one was easy and a pleasure to make.

JustinS
The knobs are bakelites from OKW [ www.okw.com ]

tubejay
Yes, RED is a great colour for gear.

tony dB
Ilustrator

Samuel Groner
I can repost the pics of the first three RED BOX editions but only if people think it would be OK. There are a lot of pictures and I have no intention to anoy people from this forum with my projects [the people from the old forum saw them and most of the guys from the old forum are here]

By the way now I am at project number ten. :grin:
Yes, 10 diferent type of gear in two years. Yoohoo! Now working on four more, two will be ready in february and the next two, who knows. Hope at the end of this year to finish project 16 or 17.
Than make more music. Much more music. This is what I want the most.

chrissugar

Thanks for the OKW tip,

they've got an incredible selection of good looking knobs (no jokes thankyou - ohh allright then go for it :grin: ) I'm gonna have to get me some!!

Justin.

Miko
Unfortunately I don't have a personal webpage but pictures of my projects are uploaded at a geocities page and photobucket.

I received some mails and PMs from forum members asking if the compressors are for sale. Please don't ask anymore, they are not for sale.
They are all mine :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: .

chrissugar

OK, so should I post the old pics here or in a new thread or not post at all?

Sorry Jaako, i forgot the evil laugh. Thank you.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: BUAHHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAAAH!!!

chrissugar

[quote author="chrissugar"]OK, so should I post the old pics here or in a new thread or not post at all?

Sorry Jaako, i forgot the evil laugh. Thank you.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: BUAHHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAAAH!!!

chrissugar[/quote]

post post post... Where ever you want.... :grin:

It was six month ago when I posted the pics with the first two comps. Although I had five racks total and four finished board sets I was so busy that I built the next two, two month later and I finished the fifth SSL yesterday.

I remember there was a discussion about how noisy is the SSL comp.
Now that all five comps are finished and working great I thought to measure their noise to see how much variation is between the five comps.

With inputs shorted and connected to ground (I mean +in, -in and GND) and gain 0dB, the noise on all the five comps is around -105dB with +/- 1dB variation.
So we can conclude that the SSL comp is a very quiet device.

chrissugar

Latest posts

Back