Automatic Gain Control, circa 1950

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! Cool Article!

...and then sometime in the future, tv commercial producers discovered they could increase the average sound level of their commercials while staying within peak limits so we wouldn't miss a word while grabbing a snack or going to the john...

Reading that article gave me a chuckle, 'cause I'm a broadcast engineer and it's funny to consider how some of the fundamental problems (e.g., people calling up master control and bitching about levels) haven't really changed in 55 years. :green:

The article mentions this circuit was designed to automatically bypass the limiter on very sharp peaks, such as the sound of a gunshot. Did this become typical of broadcast limiter design?

Seems like I saw a gain reduction plot of a LA2A somewhere. The plot showed that the output would increase again past the limiting part of the curve if the input signal was high enough. Is this the same idea here? In the LA2a was this high level "limiter bypass" a property of the photo resistor or another part of the side chain?

Latest posts

Back