LAZ EQN vs. soundskulptor EQ573

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

number2

Hello,

I am a greenie (never done DIY before) and I have read that a beginner should start with a guitar pedal or a preamp like the classic api vp26. I have no use for either of those and was wondering if these EQ's would be a decent place to start and which of these sound the best and what difficulty level they provide.

I could use the LAZ or soundskulptor 1073 preamps if that were a better choice but I have no EQ's and the API 512 preamp currently.

number2 said:
Hello,

I am a greenie (never done DIY before) and I have read that a beginner should start with a guitar pedal or a preamp like the classic api vp26. I have no use for either of those and was wondering if these EQ's would be a decent place to start and which of these sound the best and what difficulty level they provide.

I could use the LAZ or soundskulptor 1073 preamps if that were a better choice but I have no EQ's and the API 512 preamp currently.

In my opinion, the LAZ and Soundskulptor are NOT projects for a beginner. There are simpler circuits you can start with. Have a browse through the Meta-Meta at the top of this page for a list
of all the designs.

Frank B.

If you're soldering is very good then I think you could try building these units.

I can only speak for the EQN but the pitfalls I have noticed in my opinion are:
- Peter's humour is an acquired taste  ;)
- dropping the pins in the grayhill switches correctly
- soldering grayhill switches needs to done well to prevent bridges
- polarity and values of components installed correctly on the board
- calibration, signal needs to be high enough to get good calibration. You need an Oscilloscope, hardware or software, whatever works
- no build manual/instructions
- I had obstacles I encountered when building the EQN which you can check out in my journey thread. I would say the issues were not that bad in the overall scheme of things.

I think with most builds here, theres a lot of build threads, pics and discussions that is making it easier for newbies to give it a go.

I heard that Soundsklupter has pretty good documentation and to be honest, I think great documentation, build threads, sufficient thread discussions, etc. is enough to swing a newbie to a build.

I have a journey thread on the EQN if you decide to take that route, it may be useful. I also have some files and docs that I could email you about electronics in general to help you get started.

canidoit said:
If you're soldering is very good then I think you could try building these units.

- calibration, signal needs to be high enough to get good calibration. You need an Oscilloscope, hardware or software, whatever works
- I had obstacles I encountered when building the EQN which you can check out in my journey thread. I would say the issues were not that bad in the overall scheme of things.

I think with most builds here, theres a lot of build threads, pics and discussions that is making it easier for newbies to give it a go.

I heard that Soundsklupter has pretty good documentation and to be honest, I think great documentation, build threads, sufficient thread discussions, etc. is enough to swing a newbie to a build.

I have a journey thread on the EQN if you decide to take that route, it may be useful. I also have some files and docs that I could email you about electronics in general to help you get started.

Thanks canidoit,

I looked around the META for awhile and found nothing that I would use. I could use the JLM LA500 opto comp, however and that looks pretty darn simple. Some people jump straight in to an 1176 and survive so I think I'll do this JLM and then the soundskulptor EQ573 afterwards. I'm planning on letting these things take months while I read and just doing a small portion at a time.

number2 said:
canidoit said:

Thanks canidoit,

I looked around the META for awhile and found nothing that I would use. I could use the JLM LA500 opto comp, however and that looks pretty darn simple. Some people jump straight in to an 1176 and survive so I think I'll do this JLM and then the soundskulptor EQ573 afterwards. I'm planning on letting these things take months while I read and just doing a small portion at a time.
I have read people doing builds that take them months or years to complete because they are doing it a portion at a time. Leaving a partially built unit untouched for a month or more just makes it open to errors or makes the whole process longer having to recall where you are at and getting back to the flow of things in my opinion. I actually prefer just waiting till I have collected all the parts(if its self serve build) before soldering anything and when it's time, read up on everything relating to the build and just go for it.

Also if it was a new diy design just out, I would wait just a little bit after all kits sent out until the build thread builds up a little momentum especially for builds that have none or minimal documentation provided. If you wait a little longer, eventually the common pitfalls in building the unit is posted up by someone and a solution eventually provided.

Oh thanks for the education.

My main goal is to build the mnats 1176 rev d, which is pretty well documented. I guess I will start ordering all the parts and practice soldering while reading. Do you think it would be alright to stuff the PCB and then put it in a ziplock bag or something else so that it doesn't sit out too long. I just don't want to rush through any of it and be completely confident that I have done each component correctly?

I'm still trying to figure out which DMM I will need BTW. I just want to buy one and keep it for all projects. Eventually I want to build an LA2A, LA3A, Pultec EQP1A,etc. Do you know of a quality DMM that will have all of the functions I will need?

I read that I need an oscilloscope too and would like software if that can do what a hardware one can. Any recommendations?

I asked the same questions as you have regarding the oscilloscope.

Buy a good Digital Multimeter with HFE reader if you plan to use it for other builds and maybe other electronics in the future.

If you search my threads, I asked alot of newbie questions. Look at my earlier threads where I asked about oscilloscopes, what tools should a DIY builder have, components selection for sound, recommendations on equipment, etc. So most of the newbie questions I may have already covered ground.

To search, go to the search page, type in for example, oscilloscope in the search and canidoit in the username and it will come up with my threads.

The Lab / Re: Thoughts on Goldstar OS-9020A Oscilloscope? Anyone have the manual?

The Lab / How hard is it to callibrate an oscilloscope?

The Lab / Re: What do you guys think of these oscilloscopes?

The Lab / Is this Portable Digital Storage Oscilloscope good enough for DIY builds here?

The Lab / Is it foolish to spend big $ for oscilloscope if all I have is a few DIY builds?

The Lab / Re: EQN build thread

The Lab / Re: Neve style 500 series mic pre 1290 1073
« by canidoit on July 24, 2011, 03:02:18 am »
......  to the output(Hot) and chassis Adjust my oscilloscope for a steady sine wave with one sided clip  ......
The Lab / Re: LAZ EQN vs. soundskulptor EQ573
« by canidoit on Today at 08:38:19 am »
......  high enough to get good calibration. You need an Oscilloscope, hardware or software, whatever works - no build  ......
The Lab / How strong is that metal glue?
« by canidoit on March 27, 2011, 03:18:44 am »
......  a pot so I can turn it. A friend sold me his oscilloscope which has a broken knob. All I have is a broken  ......
The Lab / Re: NV73 preamp - journey
« by canidoit on July 23, 2011, 09:07:47 am »
...... . When you reach 22V, it is set about right. An oscilloscope is needed for precise adjustment. (Adjust until  ............  22volts on my multimeter. When I connected an Oscilloscope and fed the NV a sine wave, and placed the two  ......
The Lab / Re: Live Tour with DIY
« by canidoit on April 09, 2011, 07:02:40 am »
......  instructions on my journey thread.  I put my oscilloscope on Square wave, then I connect my EQN to the  ............  knob of my EQN till I make my square wave on my oscilloscope look like that funny sine wave with a flat top?  ......
The Lab / Re: PC & mini Oscilloscopes.... cheap but are they any use......
« by canidoit on August 31, 2011, 01:05:29 am »
......  as you and decided on buying an old goldstar oscilloscope instead of going the computer software route. I  ............  cost of buying any parts to get the computer oscilloscope version going wasn't much of a difference than  ............  a used oscilloscope. ......
Brewery / Re: How to tell if an Oscilloscope is working over the internet?
« by canidoit on March 30, 2010, 08:22:19 pm »
......  mean, can you still use a slightly mis-calibrated oscilloscope for general audio calibration or testing. Like  ............ , 1073 preamps, etc.  Does a person really need an Oscilloscope for the DIY builds here? ......
The Lab / Re: Laz EQN1084 eq - journey
« by canidoit on December 24, 2010, 06:49:27 pm »
......  signal in order for the sine wave to clip on the Oscilloscope in the RV5 callibration process.  This took me a  ............  through the lunchbox  I connected the probe of my Oscilloscope to Pin 2 of the EQN output through the lunchbox  ............  to help cause the sine wave to clip on the Oscilloscope  In Logic, I set the sine wave level to Max(in  ............  the GR is red  I ended up with this reading on my Oscilloscope, where the clipping is on the bottom  The  ......
The Lab / What am I missing in my tools list for building my 1176LN Rev D?
« by canidoit on May 01, 2009, 03:28:44 am »
......  or lubricant? If so, what?) - glue, what type? - oscilloscope (how important is this?) ......
The Lab / Re: look .. this small oscilloscope !
« by canidoit on November 27, 2009, 08:35:13 pm »
......  wouldnt mind buying one of these cheap oscilloscope gadgets. Will they be good enough for builds such  ............  units? How accurate do you really have to be with Oscilloscopes? ......
The Lab / Re: Visual Check before I turn it on - Mnats 1176 Rev D

OK that search function has lead me nowhere so far. Maybe that will help.

Your 1176 BOM is really nice BTW. I've been checking hairballs mouser shopping cart with it. They didn't get the capacitors down very well if I'm reading it correctly. The resistors are pretty much right.
Is yours still completely up to date?

Maybe I'll fix it for them at hairball to make it easier on everyone.

I am not sure whether there has been any change to the BOM since the PCB version I had. It will be written on my BOM what version I had. Maybe someone on the main 1176 thread can answer if there has been any parts changes since the PCB version I had.

I had no problems with my BOM when I built mine.

Ask Mnats what version his boards are now for the 1776 Rev D on his main thread.

http://www.fluke.com/Fluke/usen/Digital-Multimeters/Fluke-115.htm?PID=55993

hfe readings are just DC amps? like in this fluke 115? so in the specs if it says DC amps it should be good for building a 1176?

Latest posts

Back