EAB Faders in a WSW console

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdbender

Hey all! Long time lurker, first time posting..

I'm proud to report that I recently acquired a WSW console of the 811xxx vintage and am slowly bringing it back up to spec. There are several mono and stereo modules as well as echo and master modules. It also came with a pair of germanium begrenzers (801 430 a's) and a whole host of additional modules (tb comp, the OG 24v supplies, even a tone gen, etc etc). I have been incredibly lucky with the condition and several of the modules pass undistorted signal within their published spec straight out of the gate. (whoa. score.) Several more had seized pots or attenuators which have been healed with some plastic safe caig labs stuff. I've even been able to find doc on it all damn near. The one thing I haven't been able to track thus far is any doc on the faders. They are EAB 1k faders. The etched badge on the channel strip is W-VE 15 (and w-ve 15 s for the stereo modules as appropriate) and the asset tag on the side of the module lists them as ' type 1k - 108). I've given them a good once over (again with plastic safe solvents and q-tips aplenty) and some of them came back to life but several others appear to not be very happy passing signal. I've traded some around the various modules and I've locked it down to the faders. Do any of you lovely folks have doc for these guys? Or perhaps advice as a place to start? I wasn't able to find anything here, on kubarth, GS, etc etc. Any help would be much appreciated!!!

sorry, that's type 10 G not 108. the serial badge on the one I was checking was a little screwy

hi,

did you ever find info on these faders?

i have just sorted out input and output on some that i have-  it's 1k log by the way

i found input to be pin 1 & 3, output 4 & 6.  11 & 12 seem to be output from the switch at the off position.

what console are you working on?

Are these basic carbon-on-phenolic EAB faders, or is there more to these? I've dealt with the simple ones a lot (sorry I don't have a picture handy), and even have a few 1K log carbon-on-phenolic strips lying around if anyone is in need. One possible failure point is the wiper. There's a little piece of carbon or graphite or something stuck in the metal piece, and that's what makes contact with the strip. The little carbon thing can fall out or wear out. I'm not sure what to do about replacing it, but it's a good starting point if you have a non-working fader. Beyond that, I'd say it's just a matter of checking connections.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back