What shouldn't be said at groupDIY!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad the children are safe.  They'll wake when the cock crows in the morning. 

2335377041_98d59acbc4.jpg

ruckus328 said:
and don't forget "Thrust"

haha! yeah that's one of the biggest tabus around here, also the greatest case of double standards on the forum. Some things is ok to clone, others not so much. There was never any law broken, but one cloner got scared when API started waving the usual "copyright infringement cease and desist"  bullsh*t. I even saw said cloner trying to take you on, with a tail still between his legs!

One of the better dramas around here.

[edit]

sh*t got censored!

living sounds said:
It would be nice not to discuss politics, I guess...  8)
Yes, as Greg said,

Electrons not Elections!

This is fun though, what about Dick Chaney?

EDIT, looks like my suspicions are correct.. the republicans are behind this!  ;D

Kingston said:
ruckus328 said:

haha! yeah that's one of the biggest tabus around here, also the greatest case of double standards on the forum.

Ha.  Well, hopefully not to derail the thread too much, but......  Yes, "thrust" has been a matter of much controversy.  Here's the bottom line, most here are probably not even aware, but just to kill this issue:

The patent for the circuitry (US Patent #5,170,437) has expired as of Oct 2010.  I have writen confirmation from the US patent office on this matter, and all of my inquiries are on file actually.  It actually may have expired as early as 2007, depending on which law it fell under, but the patent office didn't dig that deep into the matter, only to confirm that whether you look at the 17 years from issue or 20 years from file date, either way Oct 2010 was the worst case expiration date.

So no matter what issues might have arisen in the past or how bogus the patent was to begin with they are all moot points now.  The name "thust" itself is actively trademarked by API, so use of that name on any sort of design or clone would be illegal, (and don't call it "tilt" either, that's a trademark of tonelux), but use of the circuit itself is fair game.

questionable legal practices?  big companies throwing their weight around to squish the little guy?  if teddy roosevelt were still alive, we'd have a committee on thrust-busting.

yes i really dusted off some painfully dry, turn of last century political humor.  no, i don't feel good about myself.

ruckus328 said:
Kingston said:
ruckus328 said:

haha! yeah that's one of the biggest tabus around here, also the greatest case of double standards on the forum.

Ha.  Well, hopefully not to derail the thread too much, but......  Yes, "thrust" has been a matter of much controversy.  Here's the bottom line, most here are probably not even aware, but just to kill this issue:

The patent for the circuitry (US Patent #5,170,437) has expired as of Oct 2010.  I have writen confirmation from the US patent office on this matter, and all of my inquiries are on file actually.  It actually may have expired as early as 2007, depending on which law it fell under, but the patent office didn't dig that deep into the matter, only to confirm that whether you look at the 17 years from issue or 20 years from file date, either way Oct 2010 was the worst case expiration date.

So no matter what issues might have arisen in the past or how bogus the patent was to begin with they are all moot points now.  The name "thust" itself is actively trademarked by API, so use of that name on any sort of design or clone would be illegal, (and don't call it "tilt" either, that's a trademark of tonelux), but use of the circuit itself is fair game.

Hahaha. Is thrust a technical term? It would make me laugh if they tried to take something like "intensity" under their belt. I mean really..  it seems to me like they are trying to copyright terminology.

buildafriend said:
Hahaha. Is thrust a technical term? It would make me laugh if they tried to take something like "intensity" under their belt. I mean really..  it seems to me like they are trying to copyright terminology.

well at least thrust (when in conjunction with sidechains) was their idea in the first place. It's more worrying when common generic terms like "tilt", "monster" or "scrolls" are trademarked. It's not like tilt-shift filters are their original idea, or that scrolls can only mean scrolls in some specific game and not in their original meaning.

I for one wouldn't give a rats ass with trademarks like that. Let them try the old cease and desists bullying. Because that one always works so well. Or gives such favorable publicity.

tilt-shift filter

Say it three times quickly!

I think this is a great name for a Friday night coctail, or esoteric high strength ale... Make mine a pint of tilt-shift-filter!

Kingston said:
buildafriend said:

well at least thrust (when in conjunction with sidechains) was their idea in the first place. It's more worrying when common generic terms like "tilt", "monster" or "scrolls" are trademarked. It's not like tilt-shift filters are their original idea, or that scrolls can only mean scrolls in some specific game and not in their original meaning.

I for one wouldn't give a rats ass with trademarks like that. Let them try the old cease and desists bullying. Because that one always works so well. Or gives such favorable publicity.

When did they first come up with that...? I put a tilt control (more like a hi cut or low cut with only a little other band boost) in the side chain of a noise gate back in the late '80s/early 90's, but the product never made it into full production (for Peavey's AMR division) I did show it at trade shows tho.  The tilt I did was some one pot wonder based on a bastardized Baxandall tone control, but it worked well to improve sensitivity of noise gate side chain to help it ignore HF or LF leakage. 

JR

JohnRoberts said:
When did they first come up with that...? I put a tilt control (more like a hi cut or low cut with only a little other band boost) in the side chain of a noise gate back in the late '80s/early 90's, but the product never made it into full production (for Peavey's AMR division) I did show it at trade shows tho.  The tilt I did was some one pot wonder based on a bastardized Baxandall tone control, but it worked well to improve sensitivity of noise gate side chain to help it ignore HF or LF leakage.

I just meant they used the word "thrust" in conjunction with side chain tilt filtering, giving them "dibs" on that trademark. Surely all basic kinds of filters had been tried or even commercially launched in compressor sidechains decades before.

Latest posts

Back