An idiotic idea about semi-analog mixing!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tunca

Well! I have an idea about mixing with PC but with line amp on the output.I told my idea with one layout! Is it useful?

Attachments

• mixbus.png
    mixbus.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 162
this should probably be moved to "studio a"...people do this sort of thing, as stated above, for mastering to utilize outboard compression/eq/etc or some other analog gear to get some mojo going. that said, imo you need some fairly high-end ad/da conversion going on to make the round trip worth it...

but this would work as drawn.

gemini86 said:
Neither of those are mixing. That's just adding another amp to the master chain.

Yes but i will listen and render track with Helios line amp and i will return input for mixdown.I think it can be useful to adding analog taste ???

It's the same process as any mixing. It comes off the tape (in this example computer outputs), goes through some amplifiers (console, outboard, etc) and then goes directly to the speakers. When you mix instead of going straight to the speakers you go to the mix down tape (computer inputs). The only thing you're doing differently is turning off the speakers while you print the mix.

Yeah, it should work fine, and it'll prob sound good too, though peoples opinions on the value of an extra conversion vs outboard amp stages may differ.

BTW this should definitely be in StudioA

Im sure you'll get something useful out of it, but I was only saying there's no analog mixing happening.  Go for it! You might also split the signal after the helios so you can retain your monitors.

I do something like this except it's multi-track/channel format.

DAW-DA's -> ChStrips/Dyn/EQ -> PassiveSummingBus -> MicPre/master-bus-comp -> AD/StRec/DA -> MON

The MicPre is multed and sent to a monitor controller input for stereo-bus monitoring like gemini86 suggested. The PC has a dedicated stereo out for monitoring of stereo out audio and a dedicated stereo record to capture mix-bus audio. At some point in a mix i'll start listening to that stereo return instead of the mix-bus...

I imagine that there are a lot of similar setups out there.

I find I can use this and mix through a single "device-chain" or use a number of device-chains in parallel depending on the mix.

That's at home. At work I have an all ITB system loaded up with a nice set of plugins for mixing... Ha Ha! I like mixing at home much more. Good luck!

Cheers,
jb

gemini86 said:
Im sure you'll get something useful out of it, but I was only saying there's no analog mixing happening.  Go for it! You might also split the signal after the helios so you can retain your monitors.

Yes i know it's not analog mixing.But i think i can add some analog taste to mixbus.

warpie said:
Why don't you try it? :)

I want but i didn't finish building yet. :)

Marcocet said:
It's the same process as any mixing. It comes off the tape (in this example computer outputs), goes through some amplifiers (console, outboard, etc) and then goes directly to the speakers. When you mix instead of going straight to the speakers you go to the mix down tape (computer inputs). The only thing you're doing differently is turning off the speakers while you print the mix.

Yeah, it should work fine, and it'll prob sound good too, though peoples opinions on the value of an extra conversion vs outboard amp stages may differ.

BTW this should definitely be in StudioA

Yes i think like you say.Just i want to use Harrison Line Amp like mixing console bus.Maybe i can add two Vu meters to Harrison Mic/Line Amp and i can see value on master bus,right? And i can add bus compressor before Helios,right?

I can tell in my way.

When i mix; Behringer UCA222->Master Bus Compressor->Helios Line Amp(like mixing console master bus)->Monitor Amp->Passive Monitors.

When i mixdown; Behringer UCA222->Master Bus Compressor->Helios Line Amp(like mixing console master bus)->Behringer UCA222 Inputs.

I will hear sound when i mix but i won't hear anything when i mixdown.Maybe i can add some analog equipments to my sound,right?Just i don't want to mix in box.I want to use some out board equipments.

You could also try to do different group mixes through your outboard chain.. so first the drums, than guitars, bass.. vocals... You might get a bit more flavour in it like that compared to putting your whole mix through it. Eventually you are left with 3-6 stereo pre mixed channels... those you could mix together to one stereo channel, even through your outboard if you want to. Don't be put off too much by people who tell you it is no use considering your ad and da conversion. Have fun! If you feel like experimenting with it: go for it! Build two identical overdrive stompboxes for near to nothing from some guitar diy forum for your drumbuss, and build a stereo mix&blend from this site so you can add all your effects parallel... and do it!

Have fun!

I don't know what A uca222 is. But using different line amps and other analog gear is totally normal! But you should be able to patch it so you can hear the results on monitors at same time. So ya can tweak it live. I think I get your drift but analog line amps and compressors and eq's can all be stuffed in that chain at will. But you just need to monitor it live on your monitors. Unless your setup doesn't have that capability. That part I don't understand...

OIC now! I looked up your interface. Yeah that should work great what you suggested. And also what erikb said. I would try both. Wouldn't worry so much about conversions thru the convertors so much. Prolly sound better anyway. :) Just keep the levels up A bit at 16 bit but don't clip! A compressor or limiter will help. I would put that AFTER the line amp. Compressor is usually last in chain to protect your inputs from an over. And to smoosh the previous processing.

John

U seen igor's endless summing? .. Maybe can work here.. I been thinking about analogly summing/mixing my stuff also and got to this point... Also looking at send and blend project for this :)

Btw.. For cheap monitoring controltry SM pro Mpatch(2 or 2.5) Is passive and cost efficient.. I got one of these .. Not the nicest finish but worth its 120usd up to the last penny...

Id go 3x stereo to eq/dyn/ch strip.. Then into summing... Out to line/mic amp/further dynamics.. Into soundcard... (i say 3xstereo Because i need one to go into the monitor control/amp. )
Either way u need to monitor with the sound card u should be able to do some internal routing and listen to the summed input or switch between clean "out" and proccessed "in". I got multiface from RME.. is very straight fwd on RME 's mixer matrix.
Anyways.. Might have to build an adat in device with some more D/A available to run all this scheme fully... With my originally intended 4xstereo summing 2xstereo monitoring(clean/proccessed)
Any ideas on that since i dont want to spend 1500 usd on RME's ADI8 solution..
Just my 2 cents (more like my 2 bottle screwtops but wanted to share this)

All the best

If flavor is what you are after, why don't you make some passive Line to Mic pads (3 resistors per channel) and then feed whatever to whatever pres?

You might be a little hard pressed to hear the sonic flavor of a line amp buffering a line signal. Wth the mic pres you knock the line signal down and then bring it back up, multiplying the gain several times inside the mic pre, more gain = more sonic signature.

In his case, the helios amps are a little sensitive to input signal, so they're going to give you something to hear with or without the input transformer in the path, BUT, the more (junk in the audio path) the merrier, I say!

tunca said:
ptron said:
U seen igor's endless summing?

No i didn't see.I searched but i can't find.Can you send link?

http://market.diyrecordingequipment.com/endless-summer-8-channel-passive-summing-pre-order,name,100313,auction_id,auction_details

ptron said:
tunca said:
ptron said:
U seen igor's endless summing?

No i didn't see.I searched but i can't find.Can you send link?

http://market.diyrecordingequipment.com/endless-summer-8-channel-passive-summing-pre-order,name,100313,auction_id,auction_details

Thanks but i don't look for summing like this.BTW It's good.

Latest posts

Back