What to do with 10 yrs of AES Journals?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thermionic

With space being an expensive commodity in my chosen part of England, how do you handle 10 yrs of AES journals? As of last yr I've been strictly an online subscriber. Can I sell them? Maybe I should just give them to a student? Do you take pride in organising yours? Are you even interested in the journals printed during the era of data compression and mobile phone sound?

Justin

I hate to say it, but if the data is available in digital form from AES, then recycle them.

I've no doubt it'll be heartbreaking, but think for a moment how many times you've searched through them? (and how much faster it'd be to do a digital search). Consider, that the paper itself would be better served recycled, than, taking up space and never being used.

Before you all start flaming me, I do believe that there is a difference if we start considering classics, first publications, signed copies and childrens books with sentimental values :)

Cheers

/R

AES pubs only available to members (or at high per-copy price). While Rochey's boss covers his access, and _some_ universities give students access, many of us don't have access.

If you were in the US I might consider buying your pile. However it would just-barely be worth shipping within the US, absurd to ship over the ocean.

I believe in recycling but not in recycling books. Or journals, in this case.  I hate reading on screen, kindles are OK, but not the same thing, they never smell moldy like old books can. I've gotten many of those PDFs off of Pete Millett's site and other places, but it's useless unless you can search them and are searching for a specific term, then it's great to have digital copies, but most times I end up printing a chapter I want to read... so much for not wasting paper. 

If you were closer, I too would cnsider picking them up, and finding a place for them. 

If you do end up havnig to get rid of them, you probably already know people who would appreciate them. If they have the room is another question. 

Surely there is somebody here who hasn't read them yet... Who lives close enough to you to afford the shipping.

I recall the last time I moved  ( a few decades ago) I tried to give away all my technical magazines and got no takers from libraries or whatever... go figure.

Nowadays when people only have to ask here for the answers, why bother studying the literature?

JR

PS Yup the AES journals should be free... or at least more reasonable to search after they're say a year old. Knowledge is not something to bogart.

> I was expecting them to be open to all by now.
> PS Yup the AES journals should be free... or at least more reasonable

So, very few audio people ever look at Audio Engineering Society publications?

Attenuator Types and Their Application
A discussion of various types of balanced and unbalanced attenuators and their application to multichannel mixing. Rules for selecting the proper mixer control and circuit for minimum insertion loss, minimum circuit noise, and maximum flexibility are given. Methods of reducing longitudinal transmission, hf boost, and interchannel crosstalk are shown.
Author: Scott, Chester F.
Affiliation: The Daven Company
JAES Volume 1 Issue 1 pp. 95-98; January 1953

This paper costs $20 for non-members, $5 for AES members

> ask here for the answers, why bother studying the literature?

Yup.

Perfect example there, PRR.    The word count coming from those asking the same questions far exceeds the word count of the actual expert documents, in most cases. 

OK.. I am in the process of cleaning out some old piles of journals that I save to read when I got old and had the time, but I don't seem like I will ever find the time.

I have three boxes of AES journals all from years ago, I let my membership expire maybe ten years ago, and about six cartons of various IEEE journals ranging from consumer transactions, to broadcast and sundry audio/electronic design disciplines. Also no newer than maybe ten years ago or more.

In about another month these will be on their way to the local land fill, unless somebody wants these enough to pay the shipping cost. US post office printed matter rate is still something like $2/pound so there is several hundred dollars worth of shipping cost involved.

I don't expect any takers, but thought I should offer...  please don't ask me search for specific issues, while i do recall blue and red, and one gold cover on the AES journals.

Free... just pay shipping....

JR

PS: I'm in central MS (39332) if somebody is crazy enough to pick these up..

Cemal - I should've emailed you - been up to my neck in moving stuff. I've gotten the journals into one box - although I might split into two once I've had a chance to think about the rigidity aspect.

Will drop you an email once my feet touch the ground and we'll get your courier over.

J

> US post office printed matter rate is still something like $2/pound

Check Flat Rate Box.  https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-mail-flat.htm

Medium Box  11" x 8 1/2" x 5 1/2"  (514 cu.in.)
  $10.85 paid online  $11.35 at the Post Office
Large Box 12" x 12" x 5 1/2"  (792 cu.in.)
  $14.65 paid online $15.45 at the Post Office

Taking paper as 50 pounds per cubic foot, the medium box holds over 14 pounds of paper for $11.

AND it appears the Priority Mail includes _pickup_!

(Some years back I sent-out five of the Large boxes-- hold a lot of books but a brutal carry to the PO.)

Justin,

No probs. take your time.

PRR,

I have an account with a company here and it costs under£10 up to 30Kg inland. Pretty good rates.

PRR said:
> US post office printed matter rate is still something like $2/pound

Check Flat Rate Box.  https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-mail-flat.htm

Medium Box  11" x 8 1/2" x 5 1/2"  (514 cu.in.)
  $10.85 paid online  $11.35 at the Post Office
Large Box 12" x 12" x 5 1/2"  (792 cu.in.)
  $14.65 paid online $15.45 at the Post Office

Taking paper as 50 pounds per cubic foot, the medium box holds over 14 pounds of paper for $11.

AND it appears the Priority Mail includes _pickup_!

(Some years back I sent-out five of the Large boxes-- hold a lot of books but a brutal carry to the PO.)

Looks like 16+# of AES journals in the 5 1/2" box  if they fit neatly.

Media mail rate is even cheaper  (I think).

$64 for 3x 50# boxes. but I need to confirm price. My recollection was more like  $1.50/# last time I did a bunch of books.

PO is across the street so no big deal getting stuff there.

JR

> under£10 up to 30Kg

$16 for 66 pounds is not going to happen here.

For example: John to me is 1,700 miles, compared to say 400 miles Glasgow to London, 200 miles Manchester to London. "Inland England" is small. (I have to go 200 miles to get out of the _state_ I'm in.) Think of Glasgow to Belgrade (but no border hassle). Lot of trucking.

Further than 1,700 miles because USPS is closing distribution centers and the mail must zig-zag across the direct route.

$22/50 pounds is not a bad price for 4X the distance. I guess if sorting and overhead is half the total, then the actual hauling is nearly the same price per mile-pound.

I know, the distances are huge over there. Before our son arrived my wife and I used to have great holidays in US. I also used to squeeze in a short one whenever I came to Chicago for the National Manufacturing Week. 

We were once in a place called Natchitoches (Naka-dish) in Lousiana. We said, where do we go? I looked at the map to Memphis and stupidly did a quick finger mesaurement and said yeah, we'll make it in about four hours. Nine hours later we arrived. When we left Memphis I came back with a Dobro and a song.

Anyhow, last year I bought a couple of hundreds of electronic magazines as a lot off e-bay for tappens. Half of which turned out to be 60s -70s Wireless World. Money on shipping was well spent. That was my Christmas read.

Back