Virtual ground w/ Differential input?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meathands

Just cooking up a portable mic pre based on a 5532 and hoping to run it on a single voltage rail. I have seen many unbalanced designs that achieve this with a virtual ground--can the same be done with a differential input by simply biasing the + input to half of the power rail voltage?

Yes...    V/2 is commonly used... 

Back a few decades ago over enthusiastic IC makers even developed dedicated V/2 ICs... But there weren't enough suckers willing to pay a premium for such a simple circuit. So they disappeared into oblivion where they belonged.

JR

Oh, I was thinking of it this way: in a virtual ground situation given a 9v battery the + rail is 9v the "ground" is 4.5v and the "- rail" is the earth/chassis reference.

Well to be technically accurate, ground is usually 0v, which is more negative than 9v. Or at least that's the point Rochey is making (I think... :D )

But yes, it's pretty typical to add a cap from vbias to ground (negative rail). In a bipolar setup, you would have caps from both v+ and v- to ground, so you could probably add a series cap from vbias (4.5v) to v+ as well, but I don't know if there's any benefit.

> cap from vbias to ground (negative rail).

You bypass to external signal common.

While this might also be V- with NPN schemes, with PNP it was often V+, and with opamps neither of the two rails may be signal common (see Cmoy headphone amp).

Meathands said:
Just cooking up a portable mic pre based on a 5532 and hoping to run it on a single voltage rail. I have seen many unbalanced designs that achieve this with a virtual ground--can the same be done with a differential input by simply biasing the + input to half of the power rail voltage?

What is your positive rail?

the others have answered about the VCC/2 bias, but you might want to think about a rail-to-rail input and output op-amp so your input range isn't for shit.

-a

Latest posts

Back