I hear Neumann mics being DIY'ed, why not the AKG C12 or Sony C800?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People try to build other mics than Neumann clones.
There was recently a group buy of CK12 type capsules (edge terminated).
Cinemag makes a C12 type output transformer (CM-2480).
Schematics are around - what's stopping you? Follow your compass; not what everyone else is doing.

dmp said:
People try to build other mics than Neumann clones.
There was recently a group buy of CK12 type capsules (edge terminated).
Cinemag makes a C12 type output transformer (CM-2480).
Schematics are around - what's stopping you? Follow your compass; not what everyone else is doing.
I'd love to DMP, but Im a solderer not a designer ; )

I would love to have the passion for electronics like most of you people here, but at the moment, I just dont have that drive. I do not have the confidence or time to give building one from schematics a go.

Yeah you are right, thinking about it I do recall seeing a person selling their inspired C12 clones that they independently built themselves using schematics.

canidoit said:
Just curious if anyone is attempting these or are in the works?

There are a lot of threads here detailed conversions of the Apex 460 to the C12 (capsule, tube, and cathode follower removal, amongst others).

Per the thread, Analags "R8" is inspired in part by the Sony C800.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=22825.0

However, you may prefer to mod an existing design (e.g. the Apex 460 -- which I'm just waiting on parts for and I'll start a thread) There are several Apex 460 (Alctron HST-11a) mods. The one I'm doing leaves in the cathode follower and uses a lower ratio transformer, and just swaps and/or eliminates a few parts. Reading off the schematic helps, but it is a pretty much paint by numbers, replace transformer, replace capsule, remove this capacitor etc kind of thing.

canidoit said:
I'd love to DMP, but Im a solderer not a designer ; )

BS! I know of a C12 kit on the way but I'm not even going to post a link for fear of engendering this attitude!

(ok fine I cave http://www.tab-funkenwerk.com/id91.html)

the C-12 is a relatively low parts count circuit , if you copy the schematic
you can get there .
thanks for the link [ note there seems to be a holder for the capsule ]

Gus did a C800 some years ago.

I'd love to see someone do the C800G with the peltier cooling element!

Just do what Blue Jinn suggested. Get one of the 460-type mics and convert it. Voila! C12 clone. Get a good capsule and it might still be under $500. I don't think anybody can make a kit for less than that, and the PSU will be already assembled.
Easy as pi...

I built the 6au6 based circuit to try to understand what was different with the C800G circuit operating points.
The supply was not like the Sony.  The grill body was not like the C800G.
I did not use the same capsule or transformer and did not use a cooler on the tube.
The Sony PS is interesting if the circuit someone posted is correct.
That build has been changed
This was not built as a clone it was an experiment to try to understand what the selected operating points are about.

Back