Transformer mounting question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno2000

I have some old 1980s Jensen output transformers that have the typical horseshoe style steel (?) mounting brackets.  There are also holes in the lams for mounting screws (?).  Am I doing something that will damage the transformer if I remove the existing mounting bracket (it's on pretty tight), and just put screws through the holes in the lams to mount the transformer?
Thanks in advance!
Best,
Bruno2000

The channel frame is optional and generally removable. But it depends on how stuck it is, I guess. If the lams are steel you should be OK, but might scrape varnish off and expose the lams to rusting.  If nickel, that's a bit different, it's sensitive to scratching, but it probably won't make a difference either way. If you were to take the lam stack totally apart and restack it, you might end up with a different transformer.  I'd still just try one and measure L before and after. 

it should be epoxied together pretty good,

an output transformer should not have 80 supermalloy lams unless it is the weird peerless 217,

if it did have 80 alloy, you would not want to bolt the lams tight as they need to move around a bit,

you might have to take a drill and gently remove the epoxy from the lam holes,

use stainless hardware, non magnetic, if you use steel, it can short the core out a bit at high freqs,
use some Al tie plates against the lams to hold the I sections from falling off,

sounds like you are trying to make a 1U LA2a or something,

just hang it off the back if it won't fit inside the case,

Latest posts

Back