flying faders I computers and parts needed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Anyone have a lead on where to get old 386 computers for flying faders, well not the whole computer but parts. the ones here are on their last legs and  you can only repair them so many times.

I'd have to check whats left, they just did a mass recycle getting rid of tons of mobo's ram monitors drives etc etc.
If you're looking for something specific (processor, mobo, cards etc.) would be easier for me to ask if theres anything left.
A lot of the older stuff the just "throw out" so...

Just out of curiosity... is there a hardware interface bewtween FF and the computer?  If it's only a serial cable or something and not a card you have to put in the machine, I would STRONGLY suggest running VMware or something instead of trying to revive a mummy.  You can setup a windows 3.1 environment which will work just as good if not better than trying to get an old 386 box up and running.

No, it's not just a PC. From memory, I think there are 3, possibly 4, ISA cards that make up the interface for FF.
One has the fibre optic link to the FF card rack. One for timecode and interface to the machine contoller. Recall card? and maybe a memory card.
Been a few years since I was inside one.

Pucho,

Consider single board industrial computers too. I fiddled with them for robotics control.

http://www.indocomp.com/ind386.html

Walrus said:
No, it's not just a PC. From memory, I think there are 3, possibly 4, ISA cards that make up the interface for FF.
One has the fibre optic link to the FF card rack. One for timecode and interface to the machine contoller. Recall card? and maybe a memory card.
Been a few years since I was inside one.

correct. the veca, the weca and I forget the names of the other 2 cards off the topo of my head. Yes has to be a 386 or lower. We been clocking our 386's down to 286 speeds for such purpose belive it or not. If it were my choice, we would upgrade to FF II but since the company is looking to ditch the vr's in a year or so, upgrade option was tossed out.

Bad news then.  The "worst" i could find on there was a pentium I.  Has some ISA slots in it but if you're havin issues with 386s I doubt this is going to work.  Just out of curiosity, if you had a ISA cage, would it be possible to run on VMware?

ain't the main thing the HP vector (or viper) board in there?

and who doesn't love running windows 2.0?

ours works great  (so far)

No guarantees, but with enough tweaking of the bios you should be able to get a 486 working, but not a Pentium. You will need DOS drivers for the peripherals, and a disk overlay so DOS sees a small hard drive.

The CPU should be clocked down to no higher than 33 mHz - this is due to the Neve Recall card.

(This seems like it's for a Neve V-Series) The computer should have unreplaceable and unrepairable HP Viper and Neve Recall cards, as well as the Martinsound Dual Port card (which we can repair in some cases). And you might have an extra Time Code card, and an IDE card of some sort.

Make sure you call our technicians at 626 281 3555 x126 to see if there is anything that can be done.

If not, Flying Faders II lets you run new software on a computer running Windows 7, and uses a USB interface to replace all of the ISA cards, including Recall.

pucho812 said:
Anyone have a lead on where to get old 386 computers for flying faders, well not the whole computer but parts. the ones here are on their last legs and  you can only repair them so many times.

Sorry to revive this dead post.  Does anyone have discs to reinstall FF?  Also does anyone have any spare mice (or A mouse) that works with the machine (serial i believe and it has to be a specific type).

I should have made copies before i left the place that had them.  sorry, if I did I would hand them over. Might be a good but expensive investment to get FFII. it will work with existing hardware and put you in the modern computing era

Back