ProTools HD Native vs Apogee Symphony 64

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sr1200

I'm having some severe issues with my HD native rig and am considering trading it in for an apogee setup instead.  Avid (typical) is now completely ignoring the situation (that apparently dozens of users are having with 909X, 91XX errors) and I've had just about enough of the BS.  I have a bunch of new clients booked, and I certainly dont want to have to try and explain AVID's dirty to them.  Just wanted to know if anyone is using the Apogee setup and if it's possible to use the new AVID i/o hardware with an Apogee card. (i know its possible to use the apogee HW with the Avid card... but that defeats the purpose since the problem seems to be with the Native card)

I'm 99.9% sure you can't do it both ways. The Avid i/o only outputs the digilink  format which the symphony system doesn't accept.

Bummer about the errors, I get them every once and a while but I only use my hd|native system for mixing and production stuff so it doesn't really get in the way very often.

Im mainly getting the errors in mixdown.  Some of my sessions I cant even hit play. Instant 9093/9091.  Quad core mac, 16 gig ram separate HD's for everything (sw synths on 1, OS on another , sessions on another)  I may just dump the whole thing and go with the full apogee Symphony 64 setup.  Funniest part about the errors, are that if I plug my old 002 in or use core audio, i get no errors. :-[

mhm - installed 4 x HD native at work the last weeks. up to now no user complained about any errors.

do you have the correct firmware on the cards? (however you need an old Intel Mac with an old OSX to update it ...).
oh - and take the PCIx slot#4 (farest away from your video card).

to be compatible with some G5 / HD7 systems I still run PT9.06 (are you running PT10?)

silent:  thats one thing i HAVENT tried.  Tech support told me to put the card in the slot above the video card (directly above) as does the install manual, which i thought was kind of strange, but I'm gonna give that a go tonight and see if there is any change. Acutally, i dont know that i can get to slot 4 since the 4th HDD covers that area of the board... hmm

Do you by any chance have any PLAY plugins from EastWest?  These plugins seem to amplify the problem exponentially.

I actually removed all plugins at one time except for the mixer plugin (which PT needs to run) and still dropped errors.  The EW plugs (if they are actively being used in a session) cause it to crash regularly otherwise im "ok".

I recall a while back when i had to update firmware, there was all this talk about updating on an older machine or a windows machine... i took the card out, popped it into slot 3 and updated the FW no problem, but then put it back into slot 2 (as per the manual).  Im really interested in moving the card up to 3 or 4.  The older macs had assignable slots, the newer ones dont, so im betting no one at avid bothered to test a machine made AFTER the cards were released and just left the instructions that were valid for the older mac-pro's. 

sr1200 said:
Do you by any chance have any PLAY plugins from EastWest?  These plugins seem to amplify the problem exponentially.
no, we don't have any plugins from east west.
(and with your "all plugins removed test" the problem aren't any plug-ins)
try out slot#4

FWIW, I'm running PTHD Native, and was plagued by the 91XX errors as well.

Since I've switched over to PT10, I have not had a single 91XX error. Perhaps it is a coincidence, that that has been my experience.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

The good: it worked... kinda (thats the bad)
The bad: it worked, but only if i bumped my buffer to 256 which is not bad at all... Considering i couldnt even hit PLAY on this session previously... i think youre definitely on to something here though!  Thanks much!

The Ugly:
a99_Jocelyn.jpg

This isn't relevant to your issue at hand, but I only raise it one I saw the title to thread and made me think of it.

About 6 months ago I went to special hi end studio session run by AVID to blind shoot out different converters. The group I was in had a few highly experienced mastering engineers. In the blind shootout, most of the group picked the Apogee Symphony as the best sounding converter of the 5 that were compared. 

The AVID reps were extremely miffed but had to pretend to be goods sports about the whole thing.  This story is somewhat meaningless rhetoric- probably more akin to the diatribe at Gearslutz, but its just the comparison in your thread heading made me think of this story and share it...

Latest posts

Back