Is cinemag still in business?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bren-hur

I been trying to get hold of some cinemags, no email responses and can't get them on the phone... are they still in business?

Yes they are..I just bought a inductor from them, but a few people quit over the holidays, and they have new staff, dealing with lots of changes

But I assure you, they are still going strong... 

Call in the afternoons california time

They were never good with emails, but they always answer the phone and are very helpful.

I just had trouble getting a transformer for a ribbon mic I'm making.  After 3 unanswered emails, I called and talked to a lady who was nice.  They're short staffed and behind trying to catch up.  She took my order on the phone, and said she'd ship it next day. 

Often David or the old man would answer the phone or call back
smaller place but with the expected non-mass production attention to detail & service
I find them worth the wait , it's like having a mechanic you can trust

okgb said:
I find them worth the wait , it's like having a mechanic you can trust

+1

I was experimenting with input transformers a few years back and asked a question or two. I got a call back and an impromptu lesson on the differences between core materials, hysteresis, and distortion once. It was like a lesson worth $200 and 5 transformers for free.

david left and marget is the new front desk person. my order was lost for 4 months and when I called and got her she said she didn't know how to use a computer so had to have someone get it for her. it finally came though. should hear it soon, I'm excited! calling is the only way I have found to get an order working.

David just answered my email, on Saturday to boot.  Doesn't sound like a man who is gone unless he's just helping smooth out the transition.

I will just jump in here and point out that not too long ago Tom Reichenbach passed away, Margaret is his widow and is filling in to help aid in the transition. Dave was out due to an illness and she was doing the best she could with the staff she had available but she's doing an excellent job in my opinion considering the nature of her filling in at work.

Tom was and will always be one of my fondest memories of starting JJ Audio.  He was like a personal Yoda to me and would spend many a time on the phone with me discussing transformer design, modifications to classic designs and was just a generally fun person to talk to and I miss him dearly. Dave is also nothing short of an audio guru himself and I have definitely sent my thoughts of a speedy recovery his way.

When Tom passed away the person who received my email sending JJ Audio's condolences was David, so to see him take ill not too much later was definitely a cause for worry. But I'm glad to see he has made his way back to work, I'm hoping he takes it easy, Margaret as well.

Please treat the situation with as much patience as you can, Cinemag is a family business in blood and in spirit, much like the company I started a few years ago. When things happen or we suffer small incidents it can be difficult to find the time to keep people notified at every step of the way. I'm sure the folks at Cinemag care about their customers and filling their orders but make no mistake they are still operating in the wake of losing Tom and I'm sure their loss still resonates.

I don't work for Cinemag but I definitely consider myself someone who has worked with them over the years and I continue to recommend them and their products.

I just figured I'd provide another perspective and fill in some gaps so that there's a bit less speculation.

BTW the "old man," was Tom Reichenbach. He's the voice on the CM 2461 VS the BV8 shootout on their website. He's saying "Neumann," "Cinemag." And he will be missed. RIP

Peace
Illumination

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm sad to learn Tom Reichenbach passed. :'( My condolences to his family and friends.

I hope David Geren and the rest of the Cinemag team are doing well.

I can HIGHLY recommend cinemag transformers, every model that I've tried has been amazing. And surprisingly affordable.

I've used their DI transformer in a large number of DI boxes that I've toured all over the world for several years, hundreds of shows, signals split three ways for monitors, FOH and broadcast feeds - those boxes have never failed to deliver pristine signal and zero ground loop noise.

I also use their mic input transformers in the studio every day now that i'm not touring - love them.

If anyone needs a top quality transformer (and who on this forum doesn't??), give them a call! :)

AND - can we change the name of the thread? please add " - YES!" to the end - so we don't give people the wrong idea.

Back