2D CAD

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

Surprisingly a search for 2D CAD turned up nothing here, so does anyone have a recommendation for a simple low cost (or free) 2D CAD package? I don't want to do anything complicated but just draw aluminium end cheeks for my mixer designs. The ability to do holes, cut-outs, tapped holes and non-rectangular shapes is about all I need along with the ability to export in dxf format for my local CNC shop.

Cheers

Ian

They advertise that they do more than just front panels on their website. I think you just draw it up inside the black space required footer the part and you can export it to dxf.it might still draw yet up with the box around it though.

Google Sketchup can also do dxf export but that might only be the pro version.

gemini86 said:
They advertise that they do more than just front panels on their website. I think you just draw it up inside the black space required footer the part and you can export it to dxf.it might still draw yet up with the box around it though.

Google Sketchup can also do dxf export but that might only be the pro version.

I found a sort of workaround - you can select the panel as either rectangular, elliptical or import it from a dxf file. I managed to draw the shape I wanted in emachineshop and imported it into front panel designer. Bit of a kludge but it seems to work.

Cheers

Ian

Have you looked into Draftsight from the makers of Solidworks?  It's no charge and works great.

Vetsen

Looks like you can get an educational version of Autocad for free.
http://students.autodesk.com/?nd=download_center

from the website:
Important Note :The Autodesk Student Version software incorporates all the functionality of our professional licenses, but includes a print banner making the software inappropriate for professional, commercial, or for-profit purposes. Autodesk Student Version software may not be used in the classroom or lab for instructional purposes, or for commercial or for-profit purposes. Annual licenses of Autodesk student software are not eligible for product upgrade or transfer to a commercial license. View print banner sample.

I'm gonna install and see if there are any other limitations.

Vetsen said:
Have you looked into Draftsight from the makers of Solidworks?  It's no charge and works great.

Vetsen

Tried downloading the .deb file for Linux but it won't install because it is only 32 bit and I am running a 64 bit system.

Cheers

Ian

have you tried using Virtualbox on Linux.  You could then install Win apps, but what's the point in that if you are getting away from MS in the first place.

Vetsen

Vetsen said:
have you tried using Virtualbox on Linux.  You could then install Win apps, but what's the point in that if you are getting away from MS in the first place.

Vetsen

I download the windows version which runs OK under wine. Just waiting fir the confirmation email.

Cheers

Ian

The ACAD student version is working well over here. Fully functional. Only thing is your prints get a banner showing it was made with an educational version.
rear.jpg

0dbfs said:
LibreCAD used to be QCAD in linux. Also runs under windows. Can open and output DXF's.
I have messed with it a bit but still like Autocad.

http://librecad.org/cms/home.html

Cheers,
jb

Yes. Librecad only works on Ububtu 11.x upwards and I am still on 10 but I have got the old Qcad - just a god awful user interface. In freePCB I click on something to select it and right click to edit its properties - which is fairly standard practice these days but it seems to have left the 2D CAD boys back in the stone age with an edit menu/toolbar item to select first, then select edit attributes and finally select the thing you want to edit. Anyway, I am getting used to it and managed to draw a profile with the units set to inches and saved it as a dxf file. Imported it into front panel designer which insists on calling inched as mm. So I opened the dxf in emachine shop and exported it as a dxf and this time when front panel designer opens it it gets the units right so there is something dodgy in the QCAD.

Here's a noob question. The profile I am drawing is just a polygon. If I draw it as separate lines I can edit each one. If I draw it as a polyline I can only edit the whole thing.  Confused I am.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back