[BUILD] Hairball Audio "Lola" Mic Pre - On Sale Now

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hiegdk said:
I have a Lola that has cooked R36 and R37 3 times now (guessing a faulty DOA). This last time when I was pulling the cooked R36 the trace between it and the DOA pin came with it  :'(

Can anyone think of a way I can fix the trace or is this Lola toast?

Find the points where the trace should connect and then solder a jumper to make said connections. Just make sure you don't make create more points of contact that were not intended by the circuit designer.

Thanks!

Paul

hiegdk said:
I have a Lola that has cooked R36 and R37 3 times now (guessing a faulty DOA). This last time when I was pulling the cooked R36 the trace between it and the DOA pin came with it  :'(

Can anyone think of a way I can fix the trace or is this Lola toast?

Nope you're fine.

Just replace that DOA.  You can replace the lifted trace with a pice of wire.  Use a solid core wire and just directly connect the two places the trace connects to.

Mike

Wondering if anyone can help.
To the testing stage of my Lola...the DI sounds badly distorted (like a bad fuzz pedal) and there is some oscillation sounds when the level is max'd. The problem seems to go away if I pull the cable out the jack halfway. As far as I can tell the mic input is clean and working properly. Any insight would be appreciated!

MerrillChris said:
To the testing stage of my Lola...the DI sounds badly distorted (like a bad fuzz pedal) and there is some oscillation sounds when the level is max'd. The problem seems to go away if I pull the cable out the jack halfway. As far as I can tell the mic input is clean and working properly. Any insight would be appreciated!

Probably a bad FET.  Looks like you shot us an email.  We'll get you new FET Buffers.

MerrillChris said:

Just finished Lola build, I've tested with mic and it sound amazing, try to use DI and fuzzy sound with oscillation occurs. Just the same problem describe above

Thanks

cserrano said:
Hi there! I bought 2 Lolas used.

One of them works perfectly. The other, when pushed all the way in the rack, loses signal but stays powered. Input and output don't work and all I hear is low level static sound. However, when I unscrew the mounting screws  from the rack and slightly pull out the top, I get signal. But it seems risky to not have the Lola pushed all the way in the rack and it's also a little inconsistent because I can accidentally push it in the rack properly, the way it's suppose to be. I tried cleaning the connector card with isopropyl but that didn't help.

Any idea what's going on?

Looks like you both shot me emails.  Will help in email.

Mike

Hey Mike, I have a couple of the prebuilt JE990 DOAs that immediately burn out the 10ohm resistors when placed in my Lola - including one that I got as an extra in my last order. Out of curiosity I popped the heat shield thingy off of the 171 and 181 transistors on those two DOAs and in both cases noticed that the diode under the shield on the 171 was busted.

I was wondering if this would explain the issue I was having with those DOAs burning out the 10ohm resistors. Also wondering if its possible that some error in my Lola build would cause that (ie, some bad component elsewhere in the circuit would cause the diode to explode) or if that would more likely be an unfortunate build, transportation, or installation error. Seems unlikely for that diode to break during shipping given how well protected it is by the shield, but who knows.

Photo of broken diode attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0066.JPG
    IMG_0066.JPG
    386.9 KB · Views: 18
Hi there!

I have a Lola mic pre that I bought and built a year ago.

When I finished, I was able to pass sound through, but the LEDs always stayed fully lit (except for one in the middle).  I lived with that until about a mont ago.  I pulled it from it's box, examined the components and connections.  I noticed that there seemed to be some loose/not soldered connections and at least one that looked like it might be shorting.  I desoldered/resoldered and repaired those connections and now it no longer amplifies.  It's passing a very weak signal with no change with the gain. 

I sent an email from the website several weeks ago but have not heard any response as of yet.  I was hoping to utilize your repair service.

Erik Hulslander
Hear No Evil Media

ehulslander said:
Hi there!

I have a Lola mic pre that I bought and built a year ago.

When I finished, I was able to pass sound through, but the LEDs always stayed fully lit (except for one in the middle).  I lived with that until about a mont ago.  I pulled it from it's box, examined the components and connections.  I noticed that there seemed to be some loose/not soldered connections and at least one that looked like it might be shorting.  I desoldered/resoldered and repaired those connections and now it no longer amplifies.  It's passing a very weak signal with no change with the gain. 

I sent an email from the website several weeks ago but have not heard any response as of yet.  I was hoping to utilize your repair service.

Erik Hulslander
Hear No Evil Media

Hi,

I sent you an email with the repair address back then.  I'll send the email now.

Thanks!

Mike

Hi!
I'm building my first  Lola preamp and today I reached the point when I could try it in my Lunchbox! Unfortunately it didn't powered up at all..  No blue lights when I pushed the buttons etc and no sound coming thrue. This is the first DIY-kit I'm building so I'm not very experienced but I have done everything really carefully... What could I have done wrong? Any tips for troubleshooting? Cheers!

BWABMF said:
Hi!
I'm building my first  Lola preamp and today I reached the point when I could try it in my Lunchbox! Unfortunately it didn't powered up at all..  No blue lights when I pushed the buttons etc and no sound coming thrue. This is the first DIY-kit I'm building so I'm not very experienced but I have done everything really carefully... What could I have done wrong? Any tips for troubleshooting? Cheers!

No lights could be more of an issue with the light circuit.

1. Did you build your own op-amps?
2. Are D1/D2 in correctly?

Mike

Hairball Audio said:
No lights could be more of an issue with the light circuit.

1. Did you build your own op-amps?
2. Are D1/D2 in correctly?

Mike
Hi Mike!
Thank you for your answer. I checked the D1/D2 and found the problem! I fixed that and now it's working perfectly! It sounds amazing.
But it was one resistor missing for the meter pcb, so I will buy that and finish the Lola tomorrow. 
Cheers!

Hi Mike

I am making my first LOLA and I thought everything was going together really well until I got to the point where I had to test the main PCB.

Symptoms:
When I connect a mic through to the LOLA there is a lot of DC noise which stops when I touch either the gain or output volume pots. Everything is also practically inaudible until the gain is up on 65db at which point everything is distorted.
(This is also the case using the DI with a guitar)

Any suggestions as to where I should start the troubleshooting?

Thanks mate

ps. I dont think it would make any difference but I am using a 500 series extension socket/jack/cable to be able to test on the bench. I have used this recently when testing my LA500A that I made and it worked fine for that.

Dneilsen said:
Hi Mike

I am making my first LOLA and I thought everything was going together really well until I got to the point where I had to test the main PCB.

Symptoms:
When I connect a mic through to the LOLA there is a lot of DC noise which stops when I touch either the gain or output volume pots. Everything is also practically inaudible until the gain is up on 65db at which point everything is distorted.
(This is also the case using the DI with a guitar)

Any suggestions as to where I should start the troubleshooting?

Thanks mate

ps. I dont think it would make any difference but I am using a 500 series extension socket/jack/cable to be able to test on the bench. I have used this recently when testing my LA500A that I made and it worked fine for that.

The Lola is a high gain unit.  We have had issues where it can indeed not work well on an extender.  It also can depend on grounding, which is different between units.

I would:

1) get it in a proper rack and re-test
2) if you built your own op-amps, see if you have other op-amps you can re-test with

Report back.

Mike

Hairball Audio said:
The Lola is a high gain unit.  We have had issues where it can indeed not work well on an extender.  It also can depend on grounding, which is different between units.

I would:

1) get it in a proper rack and re-test
2) if you built your own op-amps, see if you have other op-amps you can re-test with

Report back.

Mike

Thanks Mike
Seems to be working fine when mounted fully in the rack.

Dneilsen said:
Thanks Mike
Seems to be working fine when mounted fully in the rack.

Cool.  We have a jig for testing ours but all the in/out cables are fully shielded and properly grounded.  That may or may not be your extender issue, but there is something about it the pre doesn't jive with.

Hi Mike,
I got a strange problem with my second Lola I build. I use a GAR918 and a Mnats 990 (the old one I ordered some pcbs with his Gerber files years ago). When I start the Lola the LEDs go all up to the red. At the other LOLA (same DOA configuration) this not happened. Sometimes, I start my lunchbox and the LOLA don't work. Then I have to take out the LOLA and put it in. Then it went good. But sometimes, I start my lunchbox and the LED Meter goes up to the red and stops at the fourth led and shine all the time. Then I get no sound out of my LOLA. All pushbuttons work. I test all six slots in my Lunchbox with the working LOLA, and its all fine with the slots (Fredenstein Bento 6).
Also change the DOAs.
I also resoldered every single part (my soldering skills I would describe as good). Also checked all parts with the working LOLA if I messed up something, like capacitor direction or a false resistors. Do you have any idea, what could be the mistake?

TillM said:
Hi Mike,
I got a strange problem with my second Lola I build. I use a GAR918 and a Mnats 990 (the old one I ordered some pcbs with his Gerber files years ago). When I start the Lola the LEDs go all up to the red. At the other LOLA (same DOA configuration) this not happened. Sometimes, I start my lunchbox and the LOLA don't work. Then I have to take out the LOLA and put it in. Then it went good. But sometimes, I start my lunchbox and the LED Meter goes up to the red and stops at the fourth led and shine all the time. Then I get no sound out of my LOLA. All pushbuttons work. I test all six slots in my Lunchbox with the working LOLA, and its all fine with the slots (Fredenstein Bento 6).
Also change the DOAs.
I also resoldered every single part (my soldering skills I would describe as good). Also checked all parts with the working LOLA if I messed up something, like capacitor direction or a false resistors. Do you have any idea, what could be the mistake?

Swap the op-amps with the good one. See if the issue follows the op-amps or stays in the same unit.

Latest posts

Back