[BUILD] Hairball Audio "Lola" Mic Pre - On Sale Now

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

just finished my first Lola, looks, works and sounds great! Just having a little meter issue in PPM mode, not sure if it even is one..
In VU mode the meter reads as it should with the voltages stated in the manual (5th white led with 0,869VAC at XLR Out across pin 2 and 3 and 1st orange (0dB) led with 1,25VAC).
When switching to PPM at 0,869VAC, the meter lights up to the 2nd orange instead to the 1st like the manual says. I have to lower the output to 0,830VAC to light up till 1st orange.

Does this sound like something is messed up (tripple checked, didnt find anything wierd) or could it be just a tolerance thing.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Mat

Attachments

• IMG_7673.jpg
    IMG_7673.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 6
Hi! My Lola always worked fine (love it) but now something is wrong. When I power up my lunchbox all is well. Signal is good but after a couple of minutes it starts to crackle and the signal almost dies. If I crank it all the way up there still is some signal coming thru (meter shows it as well).
Tried different slots and lunchboxes but that's not the problem.

Any idea what might be wrong?

Thanks!

Robin

JigsawSound said:
Hi! My Lola always worked fine (love it) but now something is wrong. When I power up my lunchbox all is well. Signal is good but after a couple of minutes it starts to crackle and the signal almost dies. If I crank it all the way up there still is some signal coming thru (meter shows it as well).
Tried different slots and lunchboxes but that's not the problem.

Any idea what might be wrong?

Thanks!

Robin

Do you have any spare op-amps you could try?

Mike

Hey,

My lola started crackling after a while when using phantom, I unfortunately kept on using it till today, when I turned on my lunchbox all the buttons lit up kind of more purple than blue, of course no sound just a strange whine. The relay works since I can listen to her clicking when inserting a jack. Please if you have any idea from where I should start debugging this ??

edit:The buttons do not light up anymore when I press em except the phase button.

Check to see if any of the connections to phantom power is shorting somewhere else. If it was totally fine without phantom power turned on then I would look downstream of the switch. You'll have to play follow the copper trace, which is always a delight...

Thanks!

Paul

Second thing I'll have to follow the copper this month, and they are both not fixed yet haha :p

Thank you very much Paul

lame_turtle said:
Second thing I'll have to follow the copper this month, and they are both not fixed yet haha :p

Thank you very much Paul

Weird.  Could be a failed phantom cap or switch.  We repair those for pretty cheap.

https://www.hairballaudio.com/build-support-services

Hairball Audio said:
Weird.  Could be a failed phantom cap or switch.  We repair those for pretty cheap.

https://www.hairballaudio.com/build-support-services

Unfortunately I'm in europe so this wouldn't be really easy.

One of the 990 gets hotter while the unit is on. I checked the switches and they are good. I'll try tracing the phantom caps to see if something is wrong there.

Ok after changing almost everything on the lola, two relays fixed the whole problem. Everything is working as expected, except the two switches do not light up. Are the leds inside burned or could the culprit be somewhere else ? the phantom works and lights up fine.

lame_turtle said:
Ok after changing almost everything on the lola, two relays fixed the whole problem. Everything is working as expected, except the two switches do not light up. Are the leds inside burned or could the culprit be somewhere else ? the phantom works and lights up fine.

Either that or a bad pad/solder joint around the around the phase switch.

Hairball Audio said:
Either that or a bad pad/solder joint around the around the phase switch.

They used to work, so I guess it's the led. Can you post or even pm me the part number for those ? It seems really difficult to find them.

lame_turtle said:
Hey, I've already sent several emails. Can you please contact me ? I really need those switches asap.
Have you tried requesting your parts through this page?

https://www.hairballaudio.com/form/request-a-missing-part

Hairball were super quick to get my missing parts out using this page

Fuzz Face said:
Have you tried requesting your parts through this page?

https://www.hairballaudio.com/form/request-a-missing-part

Hairball were super quick to get my missing parts out using this page

It was some missunderstanding with the email not comming through or me not getting them . thankfully solved and parts are on the way. Great support

Hi!

I just built a pair. On one of them the meter only seems to work in PPM mode - when I switch it to VU I get nothing. Everything looks good on the board I think. Does anybody have any ideas?

They're both sounding great and I love them otherwise!

Latest posts

Back