Another pair of WM-61 mics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoff004

As far as DIY mics go, these usually come up near the top of a google search.  They're very easy and quick to put together.
I was inspired by the DPA mics at AES.  I'm sure some folks here checked them out - I'm referring to the tiny mics stuck by magnets in the piano at their booth.  The mic wires go through a rubber stopper, then the stopper is glued to a magnet.
I'd say I've got less than $25 in to these.  I had about a minute to test them today on a small Yamaha grand piano and I'm really pleased with the result.
I've also built one for my upright bass and it sounds a whole lot better than the pickup it will be replacing.

mic1.jpg

mic2.jpg

mic3.jpg

I have a few of this kind of capsules at home. When you check the specs, they've got a really flat response. I bet some omni measure mics are based on them. My only doubt is noise generated by the internal FET. I know that some can be shunted...

Hey, These look very cool.

I am considering using some of these to build a nice sized decca tree that is a "permanent" fixture facing a stage suspended above a seated audience area... Perhaps designing some fixed-gain "installed" pre's (perhaps even with some "corrective" filtering and suming to stereo) to go along with. Sort of like audience perspective room mics that sound good. Something very minimalist and discreet (not necessarily discrete).

What's up with the 400V caps?

Thanks!

Best,
jonathan

Latest posts

Back