An open letter to experienced members who are thinking of leaving this board

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deuce42

I have read with much interest the conjecture amongst members as this board recently changed and continues to go through a metamorphosis. I appreciate for those very experienced and long term members, it can seem frustrating when a small microcosm community that once provided a lot of stimulation and interest turns into a site replicating that of a huge shopping mall with freeloading shoppers looking for a cheap deal. I am saddened to read posts where respected and generous members decide they have had enough and decide to leave, or not post anymore on the premise of feeling their knowledge is being sapped and used without much gratitude.

Given my relative lack of experience compared to other members (I have only been here for three years or so), I elected not to get involved in the debate over the direction of this board. I figured I would let those whom have contributed a lot more say their piece. But the threat of those leaving is one that saddens me a lot and I would like to voice my appreciation with absolute honesty and sincerity.

This board has taught me so much.  The level of kindness that people showed me here and their willingness to help me and share their knowledge truly humbled me. It still does.  In fact some of my previous posts evidence the fact that this board made me really want to change careers and find a new career in electronics. I owe that interest to the things people taught me here on this board. If this is a litmus test for gratitude, I am glad to say so and say thank you. I can assume that many other members feel exactly the same way. 

I have read many a time the chorus of social commentary which points out that with the advent of the internet, our level of communication is often deteriorating. More specifically, many people have written about an internet trend, where in most web discussion board threads, regardless of the subject matter most threads almost always deteriorate into an aggressive and argumentative confrontation very quickly. This board almost never does so. It's unique and rare. Members here are generally good people.  This is genuinely a community.

So in the epilogue, to those members feeling that their contributions are being leeched by johnny-come-lately freeloaders, that their knowledge and designs are taken for granted, or feeling generally under-appreciated, I say please don't leave. Sincerely and honestly. I am eternally grateful for your contributions and help. I learn a lot from you guys and that in itself must make your contributions feel worthwhile. Not everyone is here for a colour by numbers cheap piece of kit. Some of the knowledge you share does get handed down to new apprentices whom do want to learn, are very grateful, and whom otherwise may not have access to such resources.

The essence of my point is this- curiously some of the wisest people in history have almost uniformly held one very common belief, regardless of who they were or where they were from.  That belief in its crudest and most simple sense is that one of the most gratifying, fulfilling and valuable experiences humans have is when they help each other. Sounds extremely cheesy I know, reach for the puke bucket if you will or spit at the screen as you read this, but yet I keep reading this point so many times its just ironic.  From the richest and most powerful business brokers in the world,  ex world leaders, to entertainment stars and celebs - many people will be surprised to see how common it is for successful people to site the fact that regardless of their success, the one thing that made them truly happy and satisfied was assisting others.

So with that in mind, if I can convince even one of the heavy hitters whom may be thinking of leaving to stay on the basis that you have helped me enormously, then I offer my honest gratitude.

Thanks, I just wanted to say my piece.
Rich

I can only echo what has been stated so well above.
  This place is unique, and it would be a shame to see it digress because of the new influx of less informed people (like myself), some of whom do not reflect the patience and respect that has been the hallmark of this incredible example of what the internet can be at it's best.
  I am grateful for the knowledge that has been so thoughtfully assembled here, and it has truly improved my life and my studio over the last three years. Thank you to those who helped it become what it is.

Just read this thread with interest...didn't realize some of the more experienced members have 'threatened to leave'. This forum is the only one I use- I consider it to be quite unique, incredibly educational and a friendly place to be! I've learnt more in two years of visiting this site than the three years of my electronic engineering degree and this is due to the generosity of the gurus- all of which I thank wholeheartedly for unknowingly guiding my DIY journey. The pool of knowledge here is unrivaled and that's down to these guys so my message to all the newbies (myself included) is to treat this place with the respect it deserves....

Latest posts

Back