Breaking the Habit (Smoking)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paultec

Sorry, this post has nothing to do with electronics, building gear or.... ::) 

BUT, I thought it might be helpful to those of you that smoke....

...especially Igor with his large pipe.... ;)

I was a smoker for 20 years, and like so many people, wanted to stop this crazy bullshit....

So, i'm going into day three of no cigarettes...

I am using an "Intellicig" to break the chemical dependency, albeit, it does still supply nicotine, minus the other 3999 chemicals and the carbon/tar thing...

So far, it's working without the usual side effects of withdrawal.

Let me know if any of you have the same experience or a better way to quit smoking...

P:)x

I know a couple of people who've tried those and had decent results.  I finally cracked it with patches which worked well but give most people very vivid dreams and also don't occupy your hands in the same way as electronic cigarettes.

The only advice I can personally give after trying and failing to give up smoking many times is don't be complacent.  The hardest part is after three or six months or even longer when suddenly you have a beer in your hand and fancy a cigarette and think you'll be able to manage 'just one'.  This caught me out more times than I care to admit.  So worth it though when you finally nail it.

Whatever you do. stay the !@#%^ away from alcohol of any kind.

You'll be back to smoking just like that.

My sister bought my wife and I the nicoderm patch for Christmas. - really!?

It worked.

Couldn't have done it otherwise.

Nico gum worked for me. Been years now. Best thing I ever did!

Funded a lot of my diy projects with former cigs money.

Good luck and just stay with the program. :)

Yeah, got the electronic cig.... hated it, it's in the bin.  Some good suggestions here... it's on my horizon as well

Like Bitman says, stay away from alcohol. It's been almost 22 years since I quit. I'm a lot heavier, but glad to be rid of the habit.
I found chewing on toothpicks sometimes helped. Also, when you get a craving, just make yourself wait 5 minutes. It will go away...for a while.
Persist.

I just took the plunge on an e-cig myself, I was able to try a few that my friends have been using with good results. The ball and chain will be pleased.

I used to smoke 40 day and managed to quit, it took a lot of will power, see the post about not drinking while you are quitting.
That was 7 years ago, but never think you have quit. Even now there are times I could kill for a cigarette, a feeling that only lasts
a minute or so, but it's always to be aware of. Hey, good luck - I hope you succeed.

Frank B.

I stopped it's been 7 years now, all it took is a ferm decision and a book (6 euros) that you know about i'm sure now, Alan Carr....
Worked for me, but all is in the head..... No coming back, never.......

Good luck! And I hope it's not too late to gain the extra 12+ years non-smokers have by average.

(I smoked about 2-3 years, and this was a long a go, but I still occasionally worry what it did to my internal systems)

I am using an "Intellicig" to break the chemical dependency, albeit, it does still supply nicotine, minus the other 3999 chemicals and the carbon/tar thing...

So far, it's working without the usual side effects of withdrawal.

In the book, it says that quitting smoking by injecting smoke in a way, is not really quitting.... Logical to me now...
But depends on people, i'm kind of stubern when i take a decision, and that i think is the most logical and good....
And at that time it wasn't easy neither, in France the law of no smoke in closed space was still not up, but days, months
passed, and years, and now the smell annoys me a lot, well i'm not giving people lessons each time they smoke around me, i let it be
but it's not pleasant at all anymore....

Wishing you good luck & patience/persistance ! I was just talking with several smokers about all of the other things related to cigs that add to the addiction besides the nicotine/other chemicals - lifestyle and tactile. Lots of adjustments to deal with, but well worth the effort.

Smoked many cigs daily for many years/decades. Quit several times for as long as two years at a time.

I have quit cigarettes for good now. I still smoke cigars from time to time and enjoy them. When I first quit cigs I was doing two large cigars a day and that got to be quite excessive so I just cut back significantly after a week or two. Maybe one cigar/week now but no 20-30 cigs/day anymore... It has been six months or more.

Not quite the picture of a healthy cold-turkey quitting experience but definitely much better. I can breathe regularly again.

I no longer enjoy cigarettes and still enjoy a quality cigar.

Best of luck!

Cheers,
jb

Wow, all really positive responses and encouragement...Thank you all!!!

Well, today I am climbing the walls, but i'm not gonna give in...

Here's the weird one...

I haven't stayed away from alcohol, the reason being, I wanted to do an endurance test as this is how i've collapsed in the past...

Anyway, day four almost done...

:)

P:)x

Jeah, I'm in process of quiting as well, Jedi power to us quiters!:) Tried few times before but eventually fell smoking again. I found easiest to quit when starting a holiday or going abroad. It is too tempting to continue old habit at work and home. Also, keep yourself busy with DIY and the time will fly ;)

Back