Gotta say , I find the Black Market now uninteresting and not exciting

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

okgb

Not compelled to check it out very much , no drama now and that's positive
but i think knowing it could be bought people put a higher price on items ?
there's no bumping of listings ?  I don't know what it is exactly but it ain't there

I'm not sure what's been going on. I came here today because I wanted to see if anyone had a few spare magnetic reed switches they'd be willing to send me (for money, of course), and I have no idea how to do that now.

[thread hijack]
Hi Darren,

This guy has some at a very good price...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140666472056#ht_684wt_1091

;)

I was going to buy some, so if shipping is too high to the US, let me know and I can forward some.

Cheers!

Stewart

[/hijack]

Greg - yes, it is less thrilling, but maybe that's good?
And I still owe you some caps!

@okgb
i am with you--it ain't there (or here)

@ darren:
i think you just did...
how many you looking for

My understanding was that it was changed to implement the feedback system, but I don't see how that can still work the way it needs to without having separate listings for multiple items, what if you want to sell off like, 4 input transformers, but nobody wants all 4? You can PM eachother, arrange the payment, and do the deal, but the feedback system has now been bypassed...

I think a better system would be the old system, but (change free market to group buy only market) add in a 'transaction' function that would work much like the PM function, send an offer, accept or decline an offer and once the transaction is finished, send/receive feedback.

I think that would be a good way to implement a feedback system while keeping it simple...

As far as programming goes, I have no clue how that would be done...

It used to be interactive which gave it life and now it is so dry?  Seems that everything on the net (also computers and electronics etc ) gets improved and improved but rarely gets better.

I think having to go through more steps to see what is being listed for sale and the price may be what people do not like about it.

You have to click to go to a page about the ad, then click the the more information link which opens another page where the item is listed with the price, then you have to click the more photos to see more photos of the item, make a bid or buy it now, close the new window and press the back button to go back to the listings..... etc.

If you can implement feedback where it has a normal one page listing would be great or implement something similar to gearslutz itrader feedback which seems to be working.

People do not want to go through several steps and have a new window open just to see the price of an item. People like the ability to browse quickly because if it becomes time consuming, then they feel it is more of a choir than something pleasurable.

Anyways, that's just my take on it.

You can go to the black market link on three top bar still and get to all the  listings there. I don't think the new window thing is a problem really, just the lack of flexibility.

I don't like the new black market either. Many times when I've wanted to buy stuff there in the past someone came along and suggested something better or alternatives and I even learned a thing or two there.

The new black market basically completely removed suggestions and discussion. That kind of parts discussion doesn't belong to brewery either.

Just now I wanted to get some par metal handles, if maybe someone had them around or would know of alternatives. :(

I don't think there was anything particularly wrong with the old black market, except maybe group buys flooded it occasionally.

+1... good experiment, but definitely much prefer the old market

Ha! I really didn't want to do this here, as I thought this kind of thing was the point of the Black Market, but really, I just need two (really, I only need one, but I like having a backup) small ones for a non-audio project. I'm making a so-called "spirit light" using an RGB LED that's set up to rotate through the colors, stuck into a jar that's been frosted on the inside. I plan to make a video about the whole build. I could do the switch in any conventional way, really, but I thought sticking a magnet to a part of the inside of the mouth of the jar and then turning it on and off simply by twisting the lid a bit would be kinda cool. :) I can get all the parts I need locally except for the reed switch, and ordering just that from Newark or someplace would mean a $9 shipping charge for a fifty cent part.

Really, really sorry for the thread hijack.

It looks like people are afraid to try the new system.  Not too many listings.  We used to see 10-20 new per day.  I haven't found/taken the time to relist my old BM posts that were killed recently, but intend to.  I can't speak to the user experience. 

The old discussion aspect is to be missed in some ways.  Seems like there was a combo of suggestion, correction, questions, and policing that occurred.  Sometimes it got out of hand.  We lost at least one member after people piled on about how much they didn't like his pricing; unnecessary infantilism. 

Kingston said:
Just now I wanted to get some par metal handles, if maybe someone had them around or would know of alternatives. :(

I think I have an unused pair of handles.

Hmmm, black market maybe???

Regards,
Mark

I've got loads of unused handles, but it looks as though Mark has you covered.... shoot me a pm if needed

Fwiw...i never really saw the black market as an auction house. I saw it more as a relatively unknown second hand store for odds and ends and as kingston mentioned tips/advice for locating things...more often than not, at reasonable prices. Feedback was unnecessary because of the fact that if something did happen, the person just mentioned it...and that seller was ostracized(as they should be)and left to defend themselves. This lent to a closer, more trusting community imo. It was and still is buyer beware...feedback or not.

Does this mean were adopting an ebayish posture? 'Seller' community, feedback, etc?

+1 on the old BM....
-1 on the new BM...

It was named Black Market too... Which always expressly and v.specifically impressed upon me that nothing was guaranteed, there was no protection, and that you use at your own risk.
Hence the name. Black Market.
If you are using the BM for trade, then you must obviously keep your wits about yourself.

Some got burned and some did the burning. It's to be expected.

I feel like the old BM fostered community and communication while the new BM prevents such and takes away from the pool of communal fellowship.

Of course, the WM is pretty obviously the opposite of a lawless/chaotic/unregulated BM... A nice contrast.

My $0.02

-jobu

+1 for the old BM, the new one lacks all the dialog that went along with buying/trading stuff. I didn't feel like there were that big of issues with the old one to rip it up for the ebay style

The key to keeping GroupDIY(prodigy pro) interesting, is realizing what made it interesting in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back