Are there any truely american dynamic microphone cartridge makers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

made in maine

Hello everyone,
I just wanted to ask all you fine people, are there any dynamic motor assemblies being made in the usa?
I've been working on a new dynamic style microphone. and have made a couple transducers in house {damn little wire!).
I don't really have the facilities to make these in any sort of numbers with out losing my mind. but the whole microphone is sourced from the usa.  I would really love to work with an oem in this country verses buying oem cartridges over seas.
what happen to all the great companies like, Turner , Altec, American, ect WTF.  I am sure chinese people are very nice, but I would love to see american people making parts for an american microphone, none of that designed in the usa krap.(which means made in china)
any help would be great
good news or bad news- next step, are there any western makers ?
Cheers- Steven

:(  if only I was a machinist, or had the $$ to commission one with the heart to put their love into the work.

Also the machinist needs to have the drive/inspiration and love for microphones.  Most (not all) that I've tried working with come off as jaded in that it's just another job for them.

I need a Lou Burroughs

That said I have several designs and resurrections of many microphones that were at one time made ENTIRELY in the USA.

Next step - European: Both Sennheiser and Beyer still manufactures in Europe.

..have you watched the "how it's made" program on (AKG) headphones - gives some ideas of how to possibly approach winding and membrane forming..

Jakob E.

Thanks for your posts, how its made is a super show, i will check it out. It's good to know that there are some european's keeping it real still, I love the mechanical damping aspect of the whole thing. I will post some result's of my efforts. I just set up a little semi anechoic  space for some controlled test's. probably good to 200 to 400 hz. i'll keep u posted

FWIW Time Delay Spectrometry is great for those that don't have an anechoic chamber.

Several mic manufacturers and even some of the boutique guys are using TEF including myself.

That was a great video, their process looks very robust, and clean.

I could use a mylar press like that in the AKG video so if somebody comes up with a DIY I'd be up for 1.  ;D

thank u for the great advice, I was a jeweler/lapidary/faceted gemstone cutter for years and have an cnc background, so i'm thinking I have most of the tooling. I'm slow but will make sure to let you know whats going on.

For the hell of it, I am going to find the cheapest pair of headphones availible and retune it  thru vent/skin holes/ patches, resonators ect.
i'm thinking i bet you could smooth fq and extend the low and high end enough, I'm willing to bet you could make it sound like one of the current standards.  I'm sure the sensitivity would be krap.
let's find out:p

Latest posts

Back