Drawmer M500 Backlight

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stefan

has anyone fixed this? Drawmer does not sell the backlight as pare anymore.
is there an easy way to fix it?

/Stefan

Hi,
I gues I could replace the entire thing. But I'm still wondering if that's really needed.
I know absolutely nothing about these things, but to me the display seems to work fine, exept for the background light.
From looking at these things at RS or ELFA, I' d say that it would be possible just changing the background LED-film.
I feel that this should be less trouble than changing the entire display, but I might be wrong.
This seems to be a very common problem with the M500 so quite a few people must have done this before me.
The display is 2x40ch and measures  something t like 188x33mm and has that typical yellow/green 80sstudiogearlook. Any help truly appreciated.

/Stefan

If you send me a picture of the old backlight with exact dimensions, I can probably make you a replacement.
But still first check the inverter, measure the AC voltage on the backlight contact pins

From memory, these are driven from a circuit in the Drawmer, and are not led but electroluminescent.
Its easier to use a led one driven off the 5 volt rail, and these things have a standard interface.
Get a manual from Drawmer, they are very helpful.

The backlight is powered from a converter circuit with app 1kHz modulation frequency. Something in the circuit will vibrate mechanically (!) and radiate this tone which is very annoying. When I used to have four of these I always switched the display illumination of. Same problem with Akai Samplers (S1000?) and Roland R880/GC8 Remote. If it´s possible to change the backlight type tosomething with 5V supply (without converter) and brighter than stock then this is the way to go.
btw, the converter circuit dies more often than the backlight itself. IIRC I have the printed servicemanual somewhere.

I read somewhere that it is enough to turn polariti of the power wires on the backlight and will stop the sound

Yes the 1KHz is definitly there, and I hate it, so a new display feels like the best solution. I emailed Drawmer very fast and helpful. BUT(T) they only sell schematics to "authorized service centers, due to copyright reasons" anyone has it scanned? Please PM me...
I was actually lying when I said the backlight was dead, there is a slight difference when I toggle between on and off.
Another quuestion:
If i replace the entire display, will I still be able to adjust contrast?
Will I loose the "on/off" function on the backlight?

Would a standard Midas 2x40 LCD display from Farnell do the trick?

Regards

/Stefan

I have one of these with the same symptoms. Bought a voltage regulator to replace the one that powers the front panel, but have yet to see if it fixes the problem. The old one is bolted to the side of the casing so hard that I can't remove it.
Have learned to live with it, as I like the compressor.
Please let us know if you come up with a solution.

I remember talking to Transaudiogroup, the Drawmer rep in the US that sold LED light kits for the 1960 comp. Maybe contact them and see if this would be an option?
http://www.transaudiogroup.com/drawmer.shtml

Latest posts

Back