Can you identify this vintage preamp circuit? Does it look like a quality build?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

123record

I have very little history or info about these preamp cards. Someone told me they might have been made by the European company "Schlumberger" in the mid to late 60's. It says "EMI 105" on the cards, but they have no ties to the UK company that I know of.
I know very little from looking at the circuit if it's high quality or not. Also I couldn't get a name from the transformers.
Does this look decent?
Any ideas on the history?

Attachments

• pre 1.jpg
    pre 1.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 93
I would say they look like reasonably high quality judging from the switches which appear to be by Elma and therefore not cheap.

Cheers

Ian

It's not hooked up to a power supply, so I have no idea how it sounds yet...I'm an extreme novice with electronics, so I was hoping someone had seen or heard it before.
Thanks...

123record said:
I have very little history or info about these preamp cards. Someone told me they might have been made by the European company "Schlumberger" in the mid to late 60's. It says "EMI 105" on the cards, but they have no ties to the UK company that I know of.
I know very little from looking at the circuit if it's high quality or not. Also I couldn't get a name from the transformers.
Does this look decent?
Any ideas on the history?
EMI stands for Electronique Médicale et Industrielle, a company founded in the 50's by a Mr. Ubersfeld. Although originally specializing in medical apparatus, they quickly became involved in professional audio.
The EMI name accounted for some confusion with the british company. Indeed they did a lot of work for and on behalf of Pathé-Marconi, the french EMI subsidee.
I don't think they had any formal connection with Schlumberger - the french subsidee of the international oil company, which had a professional audio division (main acivity was electricity meters and test equipment).
EMI gear was generally of typical broadcast quality, where reliability and repeatability are paramount.

Latest posts

Back