Matching stereo channels. Caps?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbira

Do you guys match capacitors to match stereo channels? Do you match anything other than resistors, and transistors?

Thanks,
joel

Yes, for frequency-selecting capacitors like in filters and eq's, I always match them.

Not the electrolytics though - they're nearly always sub-audio filters, and therefore not chritical at all.

Anyway, you wouldn't want to use electrolytics for frequency-selecting components anyway, as their tolerance is big - most often +30/-10%. Also the capacitance will change with age..

Jakob E.

Well, let's say:

1) tants in a power supply

2) polys in an eq

polys or mkt's in a compressor (sorry, I'm not sure how they function)

For the immediate goal, I am matching two 1176's. What caps would you match for those? I am using Mnats boards.

Joel

Also, when matching, are you just looking at capacitance, or esr, or other things as well?

Joel :guinness:

Joel,

I'd probably match C27 so the time constant (and therefore the attack and decay) were similar between the two channels.

Why would you be using tantalums in the power supply?

I am using Mnats boards.

Maybe that's why the thread dropped like a lead balloon? :?

Thanks Mnats!

Why would you be using tantalums in the power supply?

That was actually from the Green pre supply (ala Kev).

I was trying to think of situations where I was using other than electrolytics.

Joel

[quote author="Mbira"]Well, let's say:

1) tants in a power supply

2) polys in an eq

polys or mkt's in a compressor (sorry, I'm not sure how they function)

For the immediate goal, I am matching two 1176's. What caps would you match for those? I am using Mnats boards.

Joel[/quote]

1) no matching. They work DC.
2) Matching dependent on "Q". Low-q, match 5% - high "Q", match 1% or better.
3) in comps, match timing caps to some 5% (but, what's much more important, match the FET's)
Jakob E.

[quote author="gyraf"] (but, what's much more important, match the FET's)
Jakob E.[/quote]

a little bit off topic, but what are the tolerances for matching Transistors e.g. diskrete Preamps or comps?

[quote author="gyraf"]That depends entirely on the design.[/quote]

Can you explain that a little bit more, or give me a link, where I can read something? That would be very nice....

Regards
Lesli

It is in the individual design.

To evaluate component values in any design in question, you will need to understand how the designs are dimensioned and optimized. There are no rules-of-thumb that will guide you safely throug all circuits.

A good place to start would be e.g. the discrete-opamp meta - look specially for the dimensioning-notes by PRR.

Jakob E.

Thanks Jakob. I will take a look....

btw. I am a newbie and have to say thank you for your Projects and Explanations. So much Information to learn from....

Latest posts

Back