Which tube preamp with this power transformer?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosmonaut

Hi, I'm learning step by step with tubes, and I've found a power transformer from an old hifi amp. I would like to build a pair of  tube preamp channels.

I was thinking in something simple, nyd bottle, pultec mb-1 or something similar.But I need some help to know if this transformer is a good "start point".

The windings are:

220/125
375/0/375
-----------
4/0/1
3.15/0/3.15

Any thoughts with this values?

If it was a power amp, you might have enought juice (current) for one and even a pair of pres. you could go for one of the pres you mentioned, but power supply will have to be modded, for example for a choke input design with tube rectification (the 5 volts supply might be here to power a 5ar4 or other rect. tube). Otherwise, you will get more than 500 volts after rectification. heaters supply can't be regulated because you only have 6.3 volts here.

Laurent.

You will have plenty of B+ current for a pair of pre amps with that PT but the voltage is a bit high for most preamp designs.  It can be brought down with resistance or a choke input filter (probably best way) as pyjaman suggested.

The 6.3V winding probably had a decent rating for covering a pair of preamps.  If you can list the tubes you can calculate what that winding is safely rated for.

Maybe look for designs that call for higher B+ supply values - 300V.

Latest posts

Back