Versatile, loud but affordable monitor recommendation

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ethervalve

Hi all,
Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent, affordable tracking monitor for a basement home studio?
I'm happy with my NS10s for mixing but I'd like something louder with more bass extension to complement them; unfortunately, i'd also need to use these speakers for a rehearsal PA--but this is a secondary concern.
I realize this is a vast topic but I'm at loss as to where to start looking; I have vague notion about considering used JBLs, perhaps 4311Bs? There are some used L112s and 4425s available locally that are within my budget (I'm hoping to pay $750 max).

I'm somewhat reluctant to say this but I bought a pair of the first generation Mackie HR824's and have used them for the past 10 years. I personally think they sound great, and they can get plenty LOUD, if that's what you're after. If you want to go a little bit cheaper, take a look at the HR624's.  Don't write it off just because it's a Mackie. ;)  For the price, I think they're tough to beat. 

Thanks for the tips guys, this definitely expands my range of possibilities. (As a bonus I think I might be able to audition both of these models at the same shop locally).
PS: No anti-Mackie snobbery here--I love my Mackie headphone amp.

I have Yamaha HS80s and like them a lot. I wouldn't use them for a band PA however.  And I think they might be a little redundant if you have ns-10s.
They are good but I don't find them to have a really full, accurate picture.
Why not pick up some cheap PA speakers to switch to for rehearsal duty and then a more hifi type of speaker to switch to from the NS-10s? That give more volume and an accurate low end?
After going to a recording studio with a great monitoring room, I added a pair of B&W speakers to the HS80s and it was a great addition.
Having a third option of small speakers, like computer desktop speakers, is also helpful I think.

Hey thanks for the input Dan.
I ended up finding a very good deal on a pair of JBL 4311 control monitors. The enclosures are horribly scratched up but the drivers seem to be in fine shape. I'm really happy with them so far--it's been very fun listening to records that were mixed on them like 'Station to Station'. It's quite interesting to A/B things with the NS10s and them--my new dilemma is the ol' "a man with one watch knows what time it is....etc."  ;D

if you consider active monitors, I cant praise the Adam A7x enough, i got a pair last year after 7 years with my trusty tannoy's, they adams took a bit of getting used to as the are different from the tannoy "sound" i was acustomed to, but now i couldnt be without them, a musician & engineer I have been working with lately has commented on how good they are on long studio sessions, he said his mackies fatigue him after 2 hours.
I hadnt noticed the Adams lack of fatigue before he mentioned it, purely because there is no fatigue ha ha.
The A7x have a good extension on paper, and it does translate well in practice, although my mix room is fairly small, so if LOUD is your consideration then I guess the A8x might be better, but then it goes above your price range.

Back