Neumann Vintage U87 Clone : Build Thread.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes it was me.  Still not resolved, but I suspect that the connection I have from the rear backplate is to blame. I haven't had time to check properly, but will do soon..

kante1603 said:
wthrelfall said:
You're welcome.
Wasn't it you with that figure eight problem?How did it work out,problem solved?
Please let us know,we all want to learn of it.

Thx,Udo.

wthrelfall said:
yes it was me.  Still not resolved, but I suspect that the connection I have from the rear backplate is to blame. I haven't had time to check properly, but will do soon..
O.K.,if it is back capsule related the omni mode won´t work either.If it really does work (check sound on the 90 degrees angle and the slightly lower level in omni) I would recommend a deeper search in the area as shown in the pic.
Look for bad or cold solder joints,shorts and get rid of any flux there,this is a high impedance area,therefore very sensitive.

Udo.

Attachments

• 8er Problem.jpg
    8er Problem.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 83
Link to an Acoustic recording with my new U87 and my diy capsule..... Crappy pre was used so its got that going for it :) No processing or eq.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55530129/u87DIYTest.wav

Let me know your honest opinions I would like to tweek the capsule if needed!!

TSKGUY,

Dude it sounds really good!!!!!  I would use in a track for sure!!!!!  Can you make another capsule type for a diy elam251 I am going to make out of an apex 460?  Keep up the great work!!!!!!!

-Scott

tskguy said:
Let me know your honest opinions I would like to tweek the capsule if needed!!
Very nice indeed,a bit too much low end though,but that is more about how close you´ve been (proximity effect) and the mic position.
That´s the cardioid,right?
Try with another pre,maybe one with a tuneable hpf (or a mixer channel) and you´ll get a pretty nice basic recording.
Very nice and smooth high end,not harsh.
As said:I´m really impressed you did the capsule by yourself,congrats again!
Tip:Build another one and do this in MS-technique,that would be a great sound for sure.....hahahaha......

Udo.

Thanks everyone for the feedback,
You are all correct the Mic was pretty darn close to the hole, So proximity is for sure a factor. Yes this was recorded cardiod. The omni track I did but didnt post was much less proximity and a bit lower in gain. I do find myself really cranking the gain, I have read that thats pretty normal but Its tuff for me to judge if its the capsule or just the circuit. Anyway thanks again everyone.
Feels great to here the positive feedback so far!

Eric

OK, complete noob question here so, apologies up front.

I have build several compressors and mic pre's but only with some hand holding (at least slight instructions).  This is my first Mic build.  I have been lurking (admittedly have not read this ENTIRE thread).  Can anyone point me to a place with general build guides for this?  i.e. transformer, then capsule, look out for this etc. etc? 

There is a tone of information here but from what it I have read it mostly pertains to troubleshooting once the mic is assembled.

Any direction is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
S

sproto said:
OK, complete noob question here so, apologies up front.

I have build several compressors and mic pre's but only with some hand holding (at least slight instructions).  This is my first Mic build.  I have been lurking (admittedly have not read this ENTIRE thread).  Can anyone point me to a place with general build guides for this?  i.e. transformer, then capsule, look out for this etc. etc? 

There is a tone of information here but from what it I have read it mostly pertains to troubleshooting once the mic is assembled.

Any direction is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
S

Check page one of the white market thread.

I have 35 sets Left if anyone wants to have a try  at them
Regards,
Dan,

My Little Quatuor,  ;D

58d0281993797

Hi everyone,

Here is another quick sample with my u87 and a vocal track that I did this weekend.
I am to say the least pretty darn pleased!! I think it sounds great. No pop screen so there is one little plossive, and my la2a was over compressing a bit.
The track is cleen no proccessing or EQ. The chain was ssl9k to la2a then an old tango 24bit converter.
Let me know what you think, Eric
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55530129/u87Vocal.wav

And here is the same vocal in the mix, This is again pretty dry just some delay.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55530129/u87vocalMix.wav

Eric,

Once again, i think your capsule sounds great! I love the sound of an LA2A on spank mode.
Whats in the guts of your U87? Tants + styrenes? Which trafo did you end up using?

Dave

p.s. I dig the little note drop at the end of the vocal

tskguy said:
And here is the same vocal in the mix, This is again pretty dry just some delay.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55530129/u87vocalMix.wav

What is the other instrument that comes with the lead guit at the end of the sample? Is it scratching or the vocal?

Ha, that was the vocal at the end. The singer was just messing around.
As for caps I used pretty much all of the original ones unless mouser didn't have them in stock. The transformer is the 2480 Cinemag.
I did compare the u87 track to the original vocal that was recorded with a g7 and I think I like the u87 better.
Eric

Peluso capsules arrived in germany after 26 days-HURRAY!!! ;D
Only the trafos still aren´t here,must be patient again (but that´s soooooo hard......).

Cheers,

Udo.

you may want to start biasing again just in case something would show up to your door,  ;D

Keep me posted,

Dan,

Back