Neumann Vintage U87 Clone : Build Thread.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and..Hi Udo,
Here's another possible scenario, while I save money for a capsule  ;) I have Logic, which has a plugin for tone generator. I have a free plugin for a simple scope'. Hmmm...send the tone out right channel of mbox into the board on the Mic (sans capsule), feed signal to mbox input, w/scope as insert? Does this sound plausible?

thanks
Geek

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-04-24 at 8.55.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-24 at 8.55.14 AM.png
    334.3 KB · Views: 27
geekmacdaddy said:
and..Hi Udo,
Here's another possible scenario, while I save money for a capsule  ;) I have Logic, which has a plugin for tone generator. I have a free plugin for a simple scope'. Hmmm...send the tone out right channel of mbox into the board on the Mic (sans capsule), feed signal to mbox input, w/scope as insert? Does this sound plausible?

thanks
Geek
Hi Geek,

sounds plausible of course,although a scope as an "insert" device is a bit confusing as it doesn´t have an output.Anyways it will read the insert send then.
Don´t know the plug-ins you use guys,but from signal flow seen I would say yes-as soon you´ve got your scope working.
You could give it a try and record the generator to a track,then "insert" the scope and see what happens.If it shows a sine wave then you´re good to go I think.
Beware of feedbacks.
I can not proof all of this as long I don´t have my trafos.I did things without them using a real scope and a real generator.
Went into some oscillation trouble at the measuring input on the pcb at first,but after injecting signal at c4 everything was fine.
I guess with trafos in circuit the measuring inputs will be fine to use.
I would say give it a try.

Cheers,

Udo.

24 left? is this the last run? i sure hope not!

I was  not sure if it was worthed to have a third round of these board cause i tought that probably everyone enthousiast already has a set  by now  but i did receive plenty of PM regarding the availability after this round is finished and also just learned that Matt at advanced microphone parts as of next week will be producing a RK87 with 4 wire connection specially for this project and mounting saddle for only 109.00 US and he has very good feedback on his capsule,  So i guess i will go for a 3rd round of these to accomodate future interest in the project ,  i would like to thank all of you for this great sucess ,  after those are gone i will probably be out of these for about 2-3 weeks question of making some more, Again Thanks to all for your interest in this project , For Sure i will keep you posted as Matt RK-87 comes in .

Sincerly Dan,  ;D

Well , just a comment on Matador FET biasing method it works like a charm and to me it was found the easiest of all,

Thanks to Matador  8)

Adding To this a quick Tip for future build  that is ,  you can install R6 backward meaning that the body of the resistor is actually not on the resistor silk circle but the other way arround that does not change anything in the circuit but it will be super easy to tap in to inject your signal
you just clip on the R6 resistor Leg on top of the board . in this manner it inject direclty at C4 and the funs starts right away ,

58d02819937a5

dang it dan you should have kept those a secret!! i had emailed matt earlier about them. these are going to be a really limited run, and unless they sell quickly it looks like it might be the only one :'(

I talked to him last week about it too.

Matt told me today that Dan is gonna test one so maybe people will wait to hear his results.

The first batch will be a limited run but there will be another in 30 days

Dave

berkleystudios said:
dang it dan you should have kept those a secret!! i had emailed matt earlier about them. these are going to be a really limited run, and unless they sell quickly it looks like it might be the only one :'(

Ho Ho,  Sorry about that , i hope then the run will somehow not too limited , as i have no idea of how much will be available  ,
just hoping the capsule Goons will not show up at my door  :-X
D

berkleystudios said:
only 20 capsules will be sold, 1 goes to dan so that leaves 19. im getting 2 so that leaves 17 for yall haha

I am glad that you secured your order  8)  I was expecting i little more than that  :eek:

Cheers,
Dan,

Back