Neumann Vintage U87 Clone : Build Thread.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  Just for future refence,do you have c1 still laying around,can you measure it for dead short?
Udo, I still have it. Can I use a DMM to measure it?

you can measure continuity for a short.
can you measure  capacitance with your DMM ?
(there are ways to measure the capacitance with a coil and frequency generator in a resonant circuit as well)

letterbeacon said:
Out of the Aurcycle, the B2 and the MXL 2010, which one has a head basket the most similar to a U87?

The Aurycle, but none are perfect. Check out the U87 "How It's Made" video on YouTube. There's a lot of good footage of the headbasket being made. Find the one closest in size/shape you can.
Chances are, even if there was a Chinese-made exact copy, it would have different wire mesh or some other seemingly innocuous change. So unless someone machines their own U87 clone bodies (which would be expensive), none of the current "clones" will match.

HellfireStudios said:
The Aurycle, but none are perfect. Check out the U87 "How It's Made" video on YouTube. There's a lot of good footage of the headbasket being made. Find the one closest in size/shape you can.
Chances are, even if there was a Chinese-made exact copy, it would have different wire mesh or some other seemingly innocuous change. So unless someone machines their own U87 clone bodies (which would be expensive), none of the current "clones" will match.

Interesting, thanks for the reply.  I suppose the downside to the Aurcycle is the lack of a pattern switch.  I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, so how are people tackling it?  Adding their own switch?

hi
has anyone ordered from cinemag lately ?

they were really fast in responding about prices and shippig information for a CM2480 transformer for this project ,
but didn´t respond to my 2 mails ordering one .
it´s been over 2 weeks now.

any experiences ?

thx

Hi all,

I received a message from the Hamburg company who are selling the T13s to me.
Seems that a big order (not just mine) from AMI/TAB Funkenwerk is either held back for some reason or is even lost.
Therefore I can´t go on building my mics.I wanted them to be ready as soon as possible to make more tests with trafos attached to circuit (more ways for biasing,more detailed description on the B2pro build,sound checks etc.).
Sorry that I can´t :'(
Just for info.

Udo.

nashkato said:
hi
has anyone ordered from cinemag lately ?

they were really fast in responding about prices and shippig information for a CM2480 transformer for this project ,
but didn´t respond to my 2 mails ordering one .
it´s been over 2 weeks now.

any experiences ?

thx

Similar experience here - no response to a couple of emails, so I just phoned them. After that, my order shipped on the same day and my 2480s were here in about a week.

saxmonster said:
Ok Guess who has a clean mic sound now!!!!!!!!!!!

OH YEA ITS ME HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!

C1 was the culprit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Something must have happen to it.  So I will order a new styrene for it but the wima is working very quiet now, hahahaha.

point.

-Scott

Another FYI, I stumbled across a thread at tapeop about alcohol damaging polyester caps when cleaning up flux, etc.

I used acetone for cleaning the flux off of my board. You think that could damage styrenes in the same way?

Dave

wave said:
I used acetone for cleaning the flux off of my board. You think that could damage styrenes in the same way?

Dave
Hi Dave,
May be yes,maybe no,I don't use it anymore since the day a colleague "cleaned" the display of our very expensive level meter (Wandel&Goltermann).It went blind.I use isopropanol for that.Anyways it is well known that pure alcohol and styrenes don't go together.
Hopefully it did not happen in your case.

Good luck,

Udo.

May be yes,maybe no,I don't use it anymore since the day a colleague "cleaned" the display of our very expensive level meter (Wandel&Goltermann).It went blind.I use isopropanol for that.Anyways it is well known that pure alcohol and styrenes don't go together.
Hopefully it did not happen in your case.

Good luck,

Udo.

:mad: ......:-\ .....:-[.... :eek:..... :'(...... For Sure Acetone is a very strong Solvent and will attack about everything to plastic to poly,
but Still says that  :  I See, Said the Blind Men ,
Sorry for your loss Udo,
Dan,

I was the nail polish remover kind. Not nearly as strong as hardware store acetone! I mostly soldered on the back of the boards and was careful not to get the acetone on to the components. I dip a toothbrush in it and clean away. Hoefully I didn't damage anything.

I think my mic sounds pretty good. It definitely has a "vintagey" vibe to it. It's very warm and silky on the top IMHO.

It's all subjective right?

Dave

wave said:
I was the nail polish remover kind. Not nearly as strong as hardware store acetone! I mostly soldered on the back of the boards and was careful not to get the acetone on to the components. I dip a toothbrush in it and clean away. Hoefully I didn't damage anything.

I think my mic sounds pretty good. It definitely has a "vintagey" vibe to it. It's very warm and silky on the top IMHO.

It's all subjective right?

Dave

So the one you got is the  RK87-T13 or PK87i and 2480.
Just curious  :-\

I am really Glad you like it ,  :D
I like the Vintagey Term  8)

The first one I have made is the RK-87 and the T-13 with styrenes in the 10, 220, 470, 560 positions

Dave

wave said:
The first one I have made is the RK-87 and the T-13 with styrenes in the 10, 220, 470, 560 positions

Dave
Congrats Dave!
And if the cleaning is done with a tooth brush properly just at the bottom side everything is o.k.,I do it the same way when there's too much flux.You won't touch the components.
Since your mic is working you didn't damage anything.

Udo.

Hello All,

I received my T13 today!! Woohoo!! And it came with an AMI sticker! Bonus! haha

Question for those with T13's: does yours actually say "T13 AMI Made in USA" as shown in the T13 spec sheet? Mine does not...just a black wrap (not yellow) with the number 106 (see pic). I just want to make sure I actually have a T13.

Can't wait to install it and hear some glorious 1k come out of my mic! (no capsule yet, saving up for a peluso)

Thanks everyone.

-DUDE GUY

Attachments

• T13.JPG
    T13.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 45
DUDE GUY said:
Hello All,

Question for those with T13's: does yours actually say "T13 AMI Made in USA" as shown in the T13 spec sheet? Mine does not...just a black wrap (not yellow) with the number 106 (see pic). I just want to make sure I actually have a T13.

Can't wait to install it and hear some glorious 1k come out of my mic! (no capsule yet, saving up for a peluso)

Thanks everyone.

-DUDE GUY

If you got the AMI sticker your On, 
Maybe you got one of the Prototype  8)

D

DUDE GUY said:
Hello All,

Thanks everyone.

-DUDE GUY

Mine looks just like the pic on the website. Maybe Dany is right about yours being a proto?

Dave

Latest posts

Back