Neumann Vintage U87 Clone : Build Thread.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tskguy said:
Thanks Hellfire, So how many do you want??? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ha. Unfortunately, I'm about five mics and more than a few electronic endeavors away from new capsules. If you keep making them, I'll pick at least one up when my bank account and project list get to more acceptable levels.

And to Matador, the best way to give the U-87 more gain is to make similar circuit changes that are present in the U-87a (10-11dB). If it's good enough for Neumann... It also sounded very similar in the shootout loudville did on youtube. I'm not sure of all the changes made between models, but I'm sure that information is obtainable.

No problem Hellfire, I know how it goes. I am doing a pretty small first run and depending on how it goes I will do more.  We will see,
And let me know if you change your mind.
Eric

Just finished a pair of these, using Peluso capsules, Cinemag transformers, and Apex 530s as donors. The sound on spoken voice is smooth and "finished," at least to my ears. Will be trying them out on a solo classical guitar session tomorrow. Thanks to Dan and everyone for a nice project with plenty of helpful tips - managed to get these working without too much trouble (not counting a mistake I made wiring up the capsules the first time).

Attachments

• Apex 530:87 pair.JPG
    Apex 530:87 pair.JPG
    329.3 KB · Views: 75
Shot of the inside. I followed the BOM for the vintage version on both mics where possible, with the exception of the few parts that mouser didn't carry. I'll see if I can post a sound clip later.

Ralph

Attachments

• Apex 530:87 inside.JPG
    Apex 530:87 inside.JPG
    476.5 KB · Views: 117
Hello guys!

Believe it or not-I´m done with my first mic!
Seems I´m the last one here to get this managed.Thinking of how many posts I wrote without being able to finish anything...... ;D
Finally the T13s came in,there are two big parts orders from ami/Tab funkenwerk missing from my supplier in Hamburg,Germany.They had to order the complete stuff again.All this took 55 days....which gave me a lot of time to think about this project........
Meanwhile I did 2 preamps,a dual 51x psu,2 51x racks,2 compressors,2 eqs and that before mentioned cheesecake (Hi Dave!).
But this had a good side:Seems I´m still the first to build one in a B2 housing with all switches working right from the start!
No issues like rf noise or hum!
I have tried to make some pics during these last steps to finishing,especially for the minority of us,the B2 builders.
So if anybody of you "B2" guys is interested,I have some nice hints and solutions for you to get this baby fully working like the real thing.Things like how to mount the trafo,grounding improvement and so on.Tell me and I´ll post it.

My setup is all-styrene caps except of c3,Peluso capsule and T13 transformer.

And now:
Dan,my friend:You´ve done an awesome job on this!Thank you for all the support,always being friendly and the unbelievable patience with us-I definetely owe you one!!!
Also a big thank you matador,dave  and all of you who contributed so much here,it made the build doable with excellent results!

Cheers to everybody and a big kick in the asses of all you guys at the customs who make our life in the diy world so hard!

Udo
;)

P.S.:Will take the mic to our studios these days and do some comparisons with our real U87As.

Edit:Deleted pics for bigger ones in my next post,these have been too small.

Nice work Udo!
The DIY badge is the icing on that cake. +1 on your customs comment. I can't believe you had to wait almost 2 months.

I need sound samples!

Dave

Thank you all for your nice comments!

@geekmacdaddy:

Sorry,I´m no good photographer,here´s the trial for some bigger ones:

Outside pics:

The outside tube,this pic gives a better view of the real colour,it´s Hammerite blue:

Inside with my very special trafo mount assembly-it is from an old broken kitchen chair ;D

Empty housing,I didn´t change it....

Inside view with all switches soldered:

Have fun,

Udo.

Thats nice!!!

Sound samples please ;). Good to some more getting finished. I am actually doing my first session with my mic this weekend. I will make sure and shre my results!! Again great job!
Eric

Thank you Udo.  :)  I am one step closer to my U87a clone, as I just purchased a beautiful home-made capsule made by Mr. tskguy, which as you know is the tough financial part of this build. That with my populated boards brings me ever closer to the completion of this exciting project. Woohoo.

Thank you Eric,

where do you guys load up your samples?Haven´t done that so far because I absolutely hate mp3 stuff and will not do it,what you hear is a lie!Looking for the ability to share some seconds,but at least in 16 or better 24 bit format.

@geekmacdaddy:
Yes,this diy stuff can be a bit expensive,but nobody can pay the amount of money of what this means for your soul!
I have set up 2 "channelstrips" I always dreamed of and that was a lot of money,but I couldn´t have afforded all this stuff by buying them.Look here (scroll to the jpeg at the bottom of the page):
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=48610.20
Now I´m really proud of what I have achieved- signal chains completely built by myself,sounding 1o times more expensive than they really are!
Believe me,you will not regret this experience.

All the best and good luck (and lots of money too),

Udo ;)

Preaching to the choir, brother Udo! I play guitar through a rig that I built completely. Amp, my 14+ pedal setup, guitar...there is NOTHING more gratifying! BTW, your channel strips rock!

geekmacdaddy said:
Preaching to the choir, brother Udo! I play guitar through a rig that I built completely. Amp, my 14+ pedal setup, guitar...there is NOTHING more gratifying! BTW, your channel strips rock!
Thanks and hallelujah! ;D ;D ;D

Congrats Udo, thanks for all your help along the way.  I am very jealous of your channel strips right now.  Who makes the LA500?

Thanks
-Scott

I might get a used lunch box and start some 500 stuff.

Sick strips Udo. I was just talking to Eric yesterday about building some VP28s (drool).

Geek - you're gonna love Eric's capsule. What tranny are you teaming it up with?

Dave

wave said:
Geek - you're gonna love Eric's capsule. What tranny are you teaming it up with?
Hi Dave,

You mean which transformer?Come on,that's why I'm so late with finishing my build-it is my "beloved" T13s!Just wait for them about 55 days and you have them immediately :)
Udo.

Does anyone build and sell these (as I have no DIY skill for electronics...) I'd buy one from someone.

Also, if you're trying to keep the cost down, someone can PM me as I've been in touch with the factory that produces the Peluso Capsules / Microphone Parts Capsules. They also make bodies/head-baskets. You could probably get an unbranded body/basket and the capsule together for less than the donor mic body....

If anyone wants to try doing a group buy for Capsules/Parts, we could try to arrange it.

Latest posts

Back