Neumann Vintage U87 Clone : Build Thread.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B2Pro builders:

There was a discussion about different versions of this mic.
It´s true!
Here are my results,took just a quick look at them.

Positive is the identical outside,same length and diameter,and the headbasket is the same (same mesh,size and position)-cool.

Attachments

• Vergleich B2Pro alt und neu.jpg
    Vergleich B2Pro alt und neu.jpg
    522 KB · Views: 106
Negative is the deep engravings,but this can be worked around by sanding and filling them,I did this with 2 component glue on my MK47 build,easy one.
But:The head is not screwed to the rails as on the new version,it is plugged in like the Neumann style,the rest is held by latching rails.
The plastic part (with that barcode on it) takes away around 1cm of useful inner length,I must get rid of it.
The latches don´t feel strong enough.
The pcbs go down to to bottom end,in the new one there´s a gap where I mounted my transformer.
All in all it seems to get weak mechanically when I do further disassembly,must think about it first.The new version feels way better constructed,and certainly has a better ground connection between the head and the rest.
Will post more pics when I´m at it again,for now I can´t go further (I have a real job too... ;)).

CU,

Udo.

Attachments

• B2 alt zerlegt.jpg
    B2 alt zerlegt.jpg
    620.8 KB · Views: 109
kante1603 said:
Removed post,replied in the "D67"thread.
Brother Dan,you've posted twice!Must have been late last night....
Great work!

Udo.

oupss,Thanks Udo,  Not Just LAst night ..... :p

Dan,

Hey guys,

Just a quick question for those of you who have used the arcycle A460 fet bodies for this project.
Are the markings engraved or just painted on? The pad, hpf and the cardioid logo.

I was thinking that since this project is fairly low output, I could ditch the pad and use that switch for the polar patterns. Granted it would only give me two out of the three, but most of the time I only use cardiod and figure 8.

But if it is engraved, then I wouldn't be so happy with the markings conflicting with what the switch actually does.

bought mine from aurycle the brass version (kit) no marking i like the brass thing tough,
see at aurycle.com
D

Interesting, so yours came with no markings on the hpf and pad switch? I understand the body is plain brass.

It's hard to tell from the pics I've seen on the website,
A460DIY-004.jpg

and even this pic from earlier in the thread.
photo-e1332469395496.jpg

They look slightly engraved with a black infill from the pics. But it's just balck paint, then that'd be great, coz it's easy to get off.

Sorry i tought you were concerned about the logo beeing engraved in the metal shell but your right ,

Cheers,
Dany,

Yep, it's engraved in the head basket. However Aurycle makes another mic (the 570t) that looks as if it's probably exactly the same inside but has a pattern select switch. I just wonder if it has a transformer shell or not since the mic is transformerless.

I'm planning to use them for my next three mics, so I'll let you know.

Yeah, I looked at the 570t. Might be a good option. I'd change the pad to a hpf.
a570t-main-2.gif

I doubt it would have a transformer cover, but I don't know how necessary that would be. Most of my tube mics don't have any cover for the transformer and I have no problems with those. The shield of the mic seems to be enough.

If the transformer cover were made of mu-metal, it would be effective against the magnetic fields the transformer produces. As far as I know, the brass or stainless steel most mics are made of isn't mu-metal. The U-87 doesn't use a cover. Most old tube mics don't either. I wouldn't worry about it.

So an update on my mic... (low output issue) i dunno what happened, but the mic decided to just wake up today.  I just did a session with it and now instead of needing like 60-65 db of gain i was gettin a nice signal at 45-50.... dunno what happened or why, but this thing just rocked the hell out of my client! 
to quote... "What the hell is that thing?  I ain't never heard my vocals sound like that!"  So he looked at the mic (which still says OSP... my donor body... never re-painted it) and said... "OSP huh? never heard of it.." I said that wasn't really what the mic was... that it was a clone of a vintage style Neumann U87.  He asked how much a real one was....  my answer was the end of the conversation.

sr1200 said:
So an update on my mic... (low output issue) i dunno what happened, but the mic decided to just wake up today.  I just did a session with it and now instead of needing like 60-65 db of gain i was gettin a nice signal at 45-50.... dunno what happened
Hi,

Nice the singer liked it,but a mic "waking up"????????
Can you investigate that?
Thinking of a kinda self-healing microphone:A wonder?Magic?No-for me it's nothing but HORROR!
Are you sure you can shoot out the preamp and/or the signal chain?

I'm really curious now about what has happened!

which is almost identical to the MXL 2001...

If i had to put a guess on what was going on with the mic... im going to blame it on the cable, since i put the mic through the same pre that I initially tested it with...  Used it for the better part of 3 hours without a hitch.  Anything other than that... i have NO idea...  The other mic thats been dropping level after a few sec... i have dismantled and am going to start from scratch on that one.

Yo SR1200,
What is the setup of the mic that you have dismantled?
Are you using styrenes? Which capsule are you using?

Dave

Back