Neumann Vintage U87 Clone : Build Thread.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello !
I would like to build a DIY U87 in my MXL 2006 body.
The transformer is mandatory ?
I can't find the Peluso T-87.
I want to replace just the PCB for my MXL 2006, I already have a RK-87 capsule installed in the microphone.
Thanks !
Yannick

DUDE GUY said:
Hello,

I'm trying to source the pattern and pad/filter switches for poctop or chunger's switch pcbs and I found these switches on mouser. Can anyone tell me:

Will this work as the pattern switch?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CK-Components/ET03SD1ABE/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtn8lxF5bBjIQWcN3oQfoXv

Will this work as the pad/filter switch?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CK-Components/ET01MD1ABE/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuIC3ROaEqRYe45DaHRdpBu

Thanks,

-Kevin

First of all Chunger is selling his donnor bodys with switches. The only thing you can regret is the length of the actuator part. The switches are too long IMO and even if they are a lot more easy to activate I don't like very much the aesthetic of those actuators getting to much out of the body.

As I am going to make an order to Mouser I will try those ones that should fit perfectly and I will tell you if they does or not :
patern : http://fr.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CK-Components/ET03MD1ABE/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvudeGI7i40XCtw4Fd8ZUmCnC%252blw%2fFanIU%3d
pad / filter: http://fr.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CK-Components/ET01MD1AGE/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvudeGI7i40XCtw4Fd8ZUmCSL%252bogZhXbYQ%3d

They are meant to work under 20v but we don't have any power there so I think they should be OK. If someone doesn't agree feel free to post about this. Thanks !

First of all Chunger is selling his donnor bodys with switches. The only thing you can regret is the length of the actuator part. The switches are too long IMO and even if they are a lot more easy to activate I don't like very much the aesthetic of those actuators getting to much out of the body.

As I am going to make an order to Mouser I will try those ones that should fit perfectly and I will tell you if they does or not :
patern : http://fr.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CK-Components/ET03MD1ABE/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvudeGI7i40XCtw4Fd8ZUmCnC%252blw%2fFanIU%3d
pad / filter: http://fr.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CK-Components/ET01MD1AGE/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvudeGI7i40XCtw4Fd8ZUmCSL%252bogZhXbYQ%3d

They are meant to work under 20v but we don't have any power there so I think they should be OK. If someone doesn't agree feel free to post about this. Thanks !
please let us know if it works fine ,  i always wanted to know if the polarisation voltage can be an issue or not ,    as per the power you are absolutely right there is no power in there as it might certainly works great ,

Let me know ,

Best,
Dan,

Thanks very much, lolo-m. Yes, please keep us posted.

I tried reaching out to chunger for these switches initially, but he only has enough for each mic, no extras to sell.

-Kevin

Hi,
This is my first post :)
I have been using a Behringer B2 body to make my clone. I have almost finished but still waiting for my Peluso K87i to arrive. I have used the T13 transformer.
I didn't have any problems with the build. All the information is in this thread... somewhere...I did have a few problems biasing my FET.
I tried my mic with the Behringer capsule. It works but it sounds a little brittle.  Hopefully the K87i will rectify that.
A BIG THANKS to all you guys for your fantastic work. You are soooo cool  8)
Regards
EC

Congrats EC!
You're right,the stock capsule is BS.
I've built exactly the same as yours,you'll be astonished when swapping the capsule to the peluso,hahaha....... ;D
I did a comparison of the B2 to an original U87Ai a while ago and found that they're incomparable:
The B2 sounded like a mic with an exiter in the chain,horrible!

Have fun,

Udo.

Thanks Udo,

"The B2 sounded like a mic with an exiter in the chain,horrible!"
That's a good way to describe the sound! I think the pelso capsule will arrive any day :)

Did you paint the body of your B2?

I am also getting the parts together for a U47 clone...

Regards
EC

EC said:
Did you paint the body of your B2?

I am also getting the parts together for a U47 clone...
Yes,I think I´ve posted it somewhere in the "old days" of this thread but can´t find it at the moment.I did my U47 (max´s tube version) the same way.Here´s the pic of my very first 87.

Cheers,

Udo. ;)

Attachments

• UT87 alt.jpg
    UT87 alt.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 76
Hi Udo,
Nice!... I'm unsure whether to paint mine?? How did you make your badge?
What donor body did you use for your 'U47'?
Regards
EC

Hi,
I have tried to go through the whole thread but it is getting very long! I spent yesterday evening reading and after about 2 hours I was on page 36. Still another 40 to go!! I am starting to forget what I have read :)
I am biasing using the R6 injection point method. Am I right in thinking that the FET should have a gain of about 5? I am getting a gain reduction. My scope has a 1M input impedance and I'm using a x10 probe. Could it be my probe loading the drain? I wouldn't have thought so??
Regards
EC

Solved!! I eventually worked out the T13 had it's primary and secondary colour coding swapped. Did a search and found Dany's post. Biasing is easy now and I have some gain :)
I think my capsule could arrive tomorrow, just tracked the parcel to the Post Office.
Regards
EC

EC said:
Solved!! I eventually worked out the T13 had it's primary and secondary colour coding swapped. Did a search and found Dany's post. Biasing is easy now and I have some gain :)
I think my capsule could arrive tomorrow, just tracked the parcel to the Post Office.
Regards
EC

Good Job !,
Best,
Dan,

Dany,
It wouldn't have happened without all your input.Thanks again!
I can't wait to try it on a session soon.
Regards
EC

Just stumbled on this ,  ;D ;D :eek: :)  the very first D-87,

Brings back some souvenir ,  i  dont have to tell you that i had a noise problem with this one  ;D

The%20very%20first%20D87.jpg

58d0281993ac8.jpg

Best,

P-K87i capsule fitted today. All the switches appear to work. Just tried it side by side with my Rodes NT2A and me singing rubbish into them. Rodes sounded 'Big'... the clone seemed in it's shadow. I then listened to the detail and the clone was another world, very detailed in comparison. The Rodes sound is 'hyped' While the clone is 'creamy' in some way.
I need to use it and see how it works in the real world.

Thanks again for all your help!

EC said:
P-K87i capsule fitted today. All the switches appear to work. Just tried it side by side with my Rodes NT2A and me singing rubbish into them. Rodes sounded 'Big'... the clone seemed in it's shadow. I then listened to the detail and the clone was another world, very detailed in comparison. The Rodes sound is 'hyped' While the clone is 'creamy' in some way.
I need to use it and see how it works in the real world.

You should try it in the mix. Last week, i tested my U87 with RK-87 against a Rode NT2A. First we thought, the same as you. The Rode seams to hype the low end a little bit, so it sounds to have more power on the phones. But when we try it in the mix, that were two worlds. While the Rode glues in the box, the U87 was very detailed and in your face. The Rodes needs EQ to sound a little bit, but the U87-Track sounds very good, without any EQuing.

Latest posts

Back