Neumann Vintage U87 Clone : Build Thread.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed someone mentioned another source for the mic bodies a bit further back in the thread. They said they got them from the UK (I'm in the US). I noticed that Studio 939 has been out of the engraved bodies for some time, and would like to build these with the proper symbols for the switches. Does anyone know what source in the UK they were referring to?

Ricardus said:
I noticed someone mentioned another source for the mic bodies a bit further back in the thread. They said they got them from the UK (I'm in the US). I noticed that Studio 939 has been out of the engraved bodies for some time, and would like to build these with the proper symbols for the switches. Does anyone know what source in the UK they were referring to?

Hear hear for EU-friendly mic body source :)
Tips welcome.

TillM said:
There are some things you can change.
The 150k resistor shows 5€ in your BOM.
Change it to another.
Decide whether you take 68Mohm or 60 Mohm resistors. You dont need booth.
Also there a two 25k trimmer in the BOM.
Just choose one.
For the 2N3819 ask in the black marked.
I also have some, but I’ve first to look on which builds I need them.

The BOM I linked was the one from the u87 clone build.
I will have a look for another site to order the 2N3819 fet from.
I have found a few places in Netherlands where I am, just checking to see if the specs are correct.
Do I need several in case the biasing fails? or the Fet is not of good quality?

if you want go save buy two trimmer and a couple of more FETs.
But if you buy original 2N3819 jfets I've never a failed one.

Yes I know that this is Dan's BOM, which is perfect, but if you build some other U87, then you already know, which things you need and which not ;)

Ricardus said:
Is that their part number for it as well?

Ricardus, If you search "shell" in their Online Store tab you will get the entries:
http://www.lifelongmusic.co.uk/product/syt-5-u87-u67-project-microphone-shell-for-neumann-type-projects-mods/

I have a friend who found another source for 2N3819s. He's a teacher and they use a place called RSR Electronics (which is the same as elexp.com) to buy all sorts of stuff. I grabbed a few from them and when I checked it looked like they had about 100 left in stock. I haven't seen them or tested them yet, but he says the vendor is legit. I just hope they're not the ones from eBay. Those fakes with the laser printed F's. Mine will be here Thursday.

Hello,

I am awaiting the arrival of all parts now. Is it allowed/encouraged to start my own build thread?
Or does everyone want to keep the u87 build posts in this existing topic?
I am expecting to have many, many questions since it's the first time doing electronics.

Duizels said:
Hello,

I am awaiting the arrival of all parts now. Is it allowed/encouraged to start my own build thread?
I am expecting to have many, many questions since it's the first time doing electronics.

This is not a good project for a first-timer........something like a simple stompbox or a D.I.-box would be better,just my 2 cts.

Udp.

kante1603 said:
This is not a good project for a first-timer........something like a simple stompbox or a D.I.-box would be better,just my 2 cts.

Udp.

I did several diy kits (the chinese fun stuff and others) - I know this may be a challenge, but I expect with some patience and help here I can manage it.

Duizels said:
I did several diy kits (the chinese fun stuff and others) - I know this may be a challenge, but I expect with some patience and help here I can manage it.

Pardon,but you wrote this: "I am expecting to have many, many questions since it's the first time doing electronics."

Udo.

Duizels said:
Hello,

I am not a beginner, but there are some things very specific to mic building, and you can pretty much find all of the answers in this LONG thread. You just have to search. I actually went back quite a ways and just started reading forward.

Hello, i leave this message, because i have a very low output on my microphone and really don't know where i can search to solve the problem.
Can you indicate me a way for i make some check please?
Test i've done:
-I try an other capsule same thing.
-All my voltage testing point corresponding approx with the schematic value.
-I've re-bias the fet without capsule and transformer connected voltage are good.
- Check the Trx connection good.

Dan 1.3 pcb
cinemag 13113
Maiku capsule
Use the switch that comes from chunger body kit.
i built 7 u87 and never have this problem and never have problem.
Thank

Hey guys,

While I wait for the parts to arrive, I was looking at getting a DIY oscilloscope and signal generator to bias the FET.
But is this needed? I have a DAW/Audio interface that I could use to feed tone into the mic and analyze it with a spectrum analyzer plugin? Or is this not advised?

Some pointers are welcome on this topic so I can start to read up a bit.

Cheers!

Chris

Duizels said:
Hey guys,

While I wait for the parts to arrive, I was looking at getting a DIY oscilloscope and signal generator to bias the FET.
But is this needed? I have a DAW/Audio interface that I could use to feed tone into the mic and analyze it with a spectrum analyzer plugin? Or is this not advised?

Some pointers are welcome on this topic so I can start to read up a bit.

Cheers!

Chris

Hola,

you can use DAW and audio interface,  but you need to use highest sampling rate available. Spectrum anlyzer will show you where's highest signal and where falls dawn.

Latest posts

Back