[BUILD] Tr1dent A range PCB support thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time to get the ball rolling. I'm having a pretty big ground problem I think. The noise level makes it almost unusable. I've been trying on and off for a few months now to get it solved but it's just not happening. The Hiss Level is uncommonly loud and there is a low level hum that goes away when I touch any transformer or ground point. Tonight I noticed this hum is STILL THERE WHEN THE UNIT IS POWERED OFF. I've been trying everything I can think of including cutting all ground wires and slowly reconfiguring the scheme by using clip leads but no matter when I do I can't get it any quieter. I'm definitely not new to builds, or tech work, but this one has me puzzled. Pete, this was a GREAT project, and seriously the greatest sounding preamp I've ever used. Can I get some help finishing it up? I've obviously just done something stupid that I'm not seeing...

UPDATE: Hum with the unit ON seems to be completely on the input. Unshielded transformer largely to blame. the closer your hand is to touching anything on the input side (from XLR to IP transformer sec. and including Phantom power) the louder it gets, disconnect tranny and it's gone. Any easy way to fix this? Or should I just cut the tranny leads really short and rewire with 3 conductor cable?

The links to all the goodies in the first post are dead :/ Any chance of bringing them back to life or if someone could re-post the files, or at least the schem&pcb? Would earn a biiiig thank you :)

What's happened with this project?
I was so psyched when it came out. I bought some boards a while back and I'm finally getting around to what looks like a plausible built date.
Weird how such a cool project went dark so fast. I also noticed that the usually very dependable, very helpful Pete (Grand Master Audio) has been MIA for the last several months at least. Bummer. Hope Pete manages to make a comeback. For anyone who doesn't know, Pete makes some of the most gorgeous panels I've ever seen when it comes to audio diy... A real asset to our community!
Here's hoping he comes back!  :D

About the Trident; has anyone built it with good results? I'd love to hear more reports.

These are some A-Range Tridents that I built, using pretty much the same schematic as Pete, but in a different configuration.  I had some original Trident strips to compare to, and engineers who have used them have liked them.  I used the Sowter input transformer, and an old Jensen as the output.  If I can be of help, let me know.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=48493.msg612802#msg612802

Best,
Bruno2000

I have the files for this project. I'm sorry I missed the updates on this thread for some reason! I'm at work and don't have the files on me, but I'll try to put them up tomorrow. Does anyone have a place to host them though? Also I've got 4 working channels of this project if anyone needs any help with the build.

Thanks!
Ken

kpearsall said:
I have the files for this project. I'm sorry I missed the updates on this thread for some reason! I'm at work and don't have the files on me, but I'll try to put them up tomorrow. Does anyone have a place to host them though? Also I've got 4 working channels of this project if anyone needs any help with the build.

Thanks!
Ken

Hi kpearsall ,

Thanks for your reply, if you want, send me the files in PM or by email and i can host the file on my Dropbox.

Raph,

Hi kpearsall, for the sake of the forum why don't you place them in the Trident folder in the Technical Documents section. 

Please note them as Grand Master Audio (Pete)'s DIY version if they were produced by him (to prevent confusion) or if original then you're fine.  You might want to check with Pete if he's still around to see if he has any issues with posting his documents.

Best regards,
grant

Will do. I had an emergency today and don't have my drive with me. I'm sorry but i'll have them tomorrow.

I will put them in the Technical documents section with credit to Pete, and post here when it's completed.

Ken

hey ken, sorry i don't have any way to host it.  can you break the manual down into smaller 'chunks' and load them onto the technical documents Trident thread?
maybe email Ethan and see if there is any other way he can host it on GDIY site.  BTW, thanks for taking the time to do this.  very much appreciated.
best,
grant

Here's a new link to the Troodent build manual. Let me know if there are any problems, as I've never hosted through dropbox before.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/88251714/TROODENT_Manual_7.pdf

Hi All,

My oosound WWW has gone done, ill move all the docs to a new hosting asap.

I do have some more boards if any one is interested.

Best
Pete

Back