[BUILD] Tr1dent A range PCB support thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chaps -

links updated in first post.

Really sorry about my absence, got stuck into many other projects and dropped the ball on this one, but if you ever need any thing please just PM me..

best
Pete

okay, some probably newbish questions while sourcing parts:

BC550ebc, BC560ebc - I can find no info on or part with "ebc" suffix, is this a part suffix or info for pin orientation? I see on data sheets "A/B/C" suffix for hfe spec, I have picked BC560CTA and BC550CTA, are these sufficient for this build? http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=BC550CTAvirtualkey51210000virtualkey512-BC550CTA
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=BC560CTAvirtualkey51210000virtualkey512-BC560CTA

Also, what voltage rating am I looking for for the various capacitor types? The tantalums in particular become significantly more expensive as the voltage rating goes up. I don't want to over spend, but I don't want to burn anything up either.

Thanks for any help. I really need to get better at figuring this stuff out on my own, and should have by now.
I found the link to the mouser project id in the build manual, had skimmed past it before. So I got the cap values, but still need info on bc550/560 as they are not included in the mouser cart.

adeptusmajor said:
still need info on bc550/560

I think it's just emitter,base,collector-thingy?

What Kind of power transformers are you going to use?
I wouldnt want to use two, so I'm thinking about using just 44V trafo and something to drop few volts,
or 36v and diode pump etc.
Custom made 44v&36V trafo would have costed something like 55€(+shipping etc.)

Cool, thanks guys. I figured the "ebc" probably just stood for "emitter-base-collector", but what the hell do I know... :). looked like a product code the way it was written.

For power - I was probably just going to go with the dual transformer method, unless I come up with something better by then.

Does anyone have a good source for the 12 pos 2 deck rotary switch? Most options are non-stocked at mouser or digikey, or in stock and ridiculously expensive.

Or maybe does anyone here have a couple of the cheapo Alpha switches or something similar they would be willing to part with?

I just ordered a pair of Grayhills from Future Electronics ($19 ea.). Allied has an Electroswitch for around the same price. I wanted to get the cheaper Alpha, but in the end I know I'll be happier with the Grayhills.

If people are interested in the Jensen JT-13K7-A inputs maybe we should get a group buy together...

Paul

Apparently I didn't search well enough, Allied has them for $16 ea.  :p

Hmm, tumbleweeds on this thread so far. I thought with all the new boards in circulation that there would be more activity. Nobody interested in a Jensen group buy?

I'm sticking with Sowter and Carnhills (even though the Sowter's are pretty freakin expensive in the US). It's a cheap build otherwise, especially since I already have a case laying around. I'd like to breadboard the hpf and use the on board insert, but after looking at the 'magic box' I feel that I'm not putting in enought effort!  8)

Daking uses the Jensen, I like the sound of those. I thought I also read somewhere the Trident Audio Developments uses the Jensen as well.

Not stuck on it though. Maybe there's a price break for the Sowter in quantities?

Is there a reason the gapped VTB1148 is used on the output? Wouldn't an ungapped tx be better since there's a blocking cap on the output? Can you take out the cap if you use a gapped tx?

Dylan

about that psu:

Could I use that 2x18V for amp and phantom?
I didnt find info on how much higher input voltage must be to get 48V on tl783..
but if 1.404x36v is~50.5v then shouldnt I be nearly there?? :)

@ kooma - yes that should be fine.

@all....I have enough for 10 or so pcb's left if any one is still interested.

Just PM me.

Best.

Just got a channel working, sounds really great. Carnhill output, using a reversed Triad HS-54 for the moment trying to decide which inputs to use. Thanks Pete for the nice boards and the build details. When you doin' the EQ?  ;)

Ph - please post pics if you can, I would love to see it!

I honestly believe these are some of the best sounding mic pres i've built..and they are not expensive to do either..

I use mine mostly with a SM58, and its in your face lovely!

This has become my primary mic pre. I redesigned it to fit in a 500 series frame with  Lundahl input and Jensen output transformers, sounds lovely!

I bought the Sowter input as well but never got around to perfecting that one.......

Good one Peter

Latest posts

Back