[BUILD] Tr1dent A range PCB support thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
guys - i need to think about this...so many would like boards, but im not happy about making lots of boards, Trident are still a going concern, So i might talk to them to see if they mind us doing a version of their EQ before proceeding...

what do you think?

hope thats ok,

This doesn't seem too different from the DIY projects already available for the Trident 80B eq, the Helios eq, or the Neve discrete eqs, in that they all originated in legacy consoles and are all in some kind of current production by a company (or multiple companies) with rights to the name.

I would be in full agreement regarding a current design by Dave Hill or Dan Kennedy, etc. But IMO, and follow your heart, making a few A Range boards available seems ok. I would also question how much the audience for this DIY project overlaps with people in the market for a $2000/ch eq.

Hi Pete,

I'm interested in your Troodent build and would like to get a couple boards to get started. Can you please let me know if you can provide?

Thanks, Michael

Grand Master Audio said:
@All.

Also i am making a few A range EQ PCBs for myself and a friend to build, only very small number of boards just for personal use. And i suspect i might include the mic amp too.

If a few of you wanted a board im sure ill have a few spare.

Best
Pete

I'd take four if you get this going Pete  :)

in progress: trying part's in to the case.
I ended up adding additional  secondary to my transformer,
so now there should be +50V for phantom board..

Attachments

• proggis.jpg
    proggis.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 177
buildafriend said:
R22 and R21 on the schematic only say "27." By this do you mean 27 K Ohm or 27 Ohm??

Thanks regardless.
I think they were 27 Ohm, but I just went with the troodent_manual.pdf :)

very nice work Kooma!

yes 27 ohms...

I think I have 4 boards left, and that is really it, i cant find any more hidden about the place.

Let me know any  one wants them.

Best
Pete

Hello everyone,

what kind of torodial transformer would I need to power 3 of these pres? I can solder, but I never built anything more than a 51x module.
This would be my first 19" project and I am eager to learn.

Any news on the eq?

kvothe said:
Hello everyone,

what kind of torodial transformer would I need to power 3 of these pres? I can solder, but I never built anything more than a 51x module.
This would be my first 19" project and I am eager to learn.

Any news on the eq?

I'm using a 15va 2x18v, and a 1.6va 2x22v (though I'm not sure if that's the reccommendation for two pre's or just one) I know you can daisy-chain the power together but I'm not sure how much juice this thing sucks down.

As a side note, all my parts should be in by this weekend :D

I'm still waiting for my carnhills and a local place to do my frontpanel laser markings,
but psu is working and allmost everything else is ready:)

Attachments

• trood.jpg
    trood.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 112
Hi Kooma, could you please give some details about your PSU wiring, how did you add the additional secondary to get the voltages out of one transformer ?
Thank you !

dane999 said:
Hi Kooma, could you please give some details about your PSU wiring, how did you add the additional secondary to get the voltages out of one transformer ?
Thank you !

I just wound about 10 rounds of wire around the core(on top of the "old"transformer.)
measured what voltage I got and then added more rounds to get desired voltage.
and then paralled old secondaries with the new one and tried wich
polarity gave bigger output and then wound teflon tape on top of the whole thing..
And I epoxied centerpiece to my trafo so It fitted in 1U height.( the plate fastening would have come too fat for my case..)
I had 3 wires coming from trafo; "0", 36vac and "phantomVAC" so I made link wires under psu pcb to link "phantom 0" and "vcc 0".

But before you do this, you should really measure your current transformer output.
Maybe you have bit overvoltage and you dont have to do anything( 36v x 1.404 is~50.5v)
with 2x19vac etc you should be golden.
I actually had bigger output in my transformer, but I thought it would drop under the load...it didnt:)
but as I had allready modified my trafo I just went ahead with it.
Dont know if it's a bad thing to get both voltages(phantom and preamp power) from same xformer,
but since everything has its own regulators I'm expecting it to work ok.
edit: picture as a attachment.

Attachments

• psu.png
    psu.png
    88.1 KB · Views: 60
Thanks a lot ! I think I'll try with a 2x19VAC transformer. I assume/hope this is not too much for the preamp's PSU.

Latest posts

Back