Anyone know how to get Tim Cambel Capsules ?????

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary o

Anyone know how to get Tim Cambel Capsules ?

Sent Emails couple years ago & recently but no replys.....thanks for reading

Thanks Peter I just wanna buy a capsule but seems so difficult I wondered how others were getting capsules thought maybe a website or shop I have missed it does also worry me buying from someone who I cant get a response out of....

Thanks again.

I know Tim has been swamped with work lately - several of the heavier "boutique" microphone manufacturers are switching to his capsule, giving him too much to do.

And he insists on still building, assembling, adjusting, and testing every capsule separately and by hand - like you would if you were building acoustic guitars or such.

This means that he hardly has the time to drink coffee with me :), but also that you shouldn't expect him to be very fast at answering emails.

But if he persists in not answering (he has a notoriously unpredictable spam filter), let me know and I can PM you his telephone number.

Jakob E.

Dear Gary,
Sorry I've been so hard to contact. I'm afraid my capsules have been so much in demand that I currently have a lead time of 6 to 8 weeks.
That doesn't really excuse my slowness at answering email lately but I've been working flat out trying to catch up and sometimes answering emails gets put on hold, especially when my only answer to customers is that they must wait.

All the things I can do to speed up production unfortunately mean longer wait times in the short term.

Cool no worries Tim thanks for getting back ( and thanks Jakob) I was wondering if & how would I order one of yr Capsules Tim , many thanks

My Email if easier is    [email protected] thanks again

He gone again.....bizzy man can seem to get a response via Email I must be filtered out......Jakob do you think you could pass on my message I just want to order a capsule & cant find a way to order and pay for it, I dont mind waiting, a bizzy chap like Tim needs a little ordering page say like skylar has for his mic bodies, maybe he has one & I cant find it so if anyone can point me....

Thanks

Tim's pretty good now. I sent him an email and heard back the same night. Still quoting a 6-8 weeks wait though. Can't wait to receive my capsule. I'm pimping an Alctron HST-11A. I'll be sure to post a photo diary and sound samples for those of you who are interested.

I have purchased 2 capsules a year apart and this is how both times went. Contact by phone and email and he will contact you when he has your capsule built and  in hand. Asks you if you still want it then you send money and he ships.

I like the way he does this there is no room for complaint or misunderstanding. You get a capsule built by a craftsman that is not under the gun of having taken your money.

They are well worth the wait we use ours in a pair of G7's in most sessions. 

okgb said:
How much do his capsules cost ?

I think it's DKK2000 (ca. USD354 or EUR269 at today's rate) - at least this has been the price for a long time.

okgb said:
Is there just one type ?

Yes and no:

The CK12's were always notorious in being all-over the place sonically (frequency-response wise). In my opinion, the property that is in common to them all is more the fact that they take EQ so extremely well, allowing frequency adjustment with little side-effects.

This may come as a surprise for anyone loving a particular example of an old AKG or ELAM mic - but it's very hard to find two that sounds the same. This due to the capsule design - where the Neumann type capsule will always fall within certain limits when built in a particular way, this does not hold for the AKG, that will take a lot of adjustment at assembley (and this is probably the main reason why so few people do the CK12 type; it is simply too costly measured in man-hours)

That said, the capsules that Tim makes are not all-over the place: He's spent the last 10 or so years trying to grab control of various aspects of design and adjustment - to the point where he's now able to make a capsule that stereo matches any old CK12 you throw at him. Just don't expect him to build you a capsule from a vague verbal description of the wanted sound..

And his "standard issue" capsule is matched up to an absolutely fantastic old CK12 he has as a reference - this is the type I'd want for anything new-built (that did not have to stereo-match a particular old original).

Jakob E.

We have a pair of "standard issue" built a year apart that are well matched and sound beautiful. 

My prices are on my webpage http://www.timcampbell.dk/index2b.htm
    in europe you must add 25% danish VAT to these prices.

Hi Tim,

I'm hoping you might monitor this thread.  I've sent a couple of emails inquiring about a pair of your standard capsules.  I do not mind waiting whatever the current lead time is.  I just want to confirm when I am able to get in the line.  The 2 emails I sent came from [email protected]  .  I do not want to continue bombarding your inbox, so please let me know if you are able to dig up the email or if i should re-send.

Thanks!

Thanks for the help.  I was able to reach Mr. Campbell via telephone and he had indeed received my emails, but a combination of heavy workload and planned vacation time have delayed responses.  Lead times as of our conversation could be as long as 8 weeks, but I am in the build queue  ;)

It was a very pleasant conversation and I feel VERY good about supporting his type of craftsmanship and dedication to the art.

I recently purchased two capsules from Tim. It took about eight weeks from order to delivery which was fine with me. I haven't had time to install them yet but I will and I expect that they will be absolutely top notch. I hope you enjoy yours.

Best,
jb

Back