Another U47 Clone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Can anyone identify the circuit for this U47 clone? I think its a 7025 valve? Any info on this one please?

P0002998.jpg

P0002996.jpg

It looks like a China tube from what I can see... and possibly wima lookalikes?

[quote author="HG"]Can anyone identify the circuit for this U47 clone? I think its a 7025 valve? [/quote]

There is no way it is a U47 clone. Enough to say U47 used M7 (or K47 in FET) capsules, and VF14 tube. To my knowledge none of modern mics except of Gefell uses anything similar to M7. The tube looks like 12AT7-ECC81. The only similarity with VF14 is that both of them are tubes.

Whats up your arse? The mic is shaped like U47 ie a clone, of course its not a VF14 you moron. Go diss someone elses post.

Don't take offense to Marik's post. I think he was trying to be informative, not jump on you. He knows his mics, so take his post to be informative. Don't be so quick to get defensive. There'a a lot of information to be found in this group, but acting like that won't help you find it!

So the mic is a U47 look alike...not a U47 clone. Two different things entirely.

Shane

Now, good people... behave..!

No personal attacks here, thanks.

What marik is saying is that the description "u47-clone" may be quite misleading when trying to guess a design like this. Claiming a mic to be a clone on the basis of looks alone is a typical and very distressing side-effect of the prosumer marketing bullshit, aimed at people that know nothing about the stuff in question.

My guess is that this is why Marik's answer came out a bit harsh.

Jakob E.

PS: my guess is a Soundking EA001B - http://www.soundking.com/image/7/1.jpg

If it was a copy of the U47 circuit I wouldn't need to ask for info on the circuit would I, cause it would be pretty obvious what it was. Its also mind numbingly obvious it has absolutely nothing to do with an original U47. Thanks for pointing that out to everyone so nicely!

Now, that's better :grin:

But why do you refer to it as a u47 clone? Is it claimed to be? Or is it just because the u47 has become a "generic" prosumer name for any tubed mic?

What other info do you have on this mic? What are the component manufacturers and component values? What tube is used? Are all tube pins used? Are some tube pins shorted to each other? What ratio is the output transformer? What are it's supply voltages (under load)..?

Jakob E.

The guy who sent the photo's to me thinks it is a 7025 or was told and its shaped like a 47. He can get them wholesale for $150 USD. But he can't remember what brand it is sold as and he's trying to find out which factory actually make them but there chinese and its all very formal cloak and dagger stuff.

I wouldn't mind a couple if the mic sounds better than average or is worth modding, otherwise my moneys better spent on a SP T3 which already sounds excellent and only costs a little more on Ebay. Maybe someone here knows what it is already.

Looking at the pics, I think there should be room for a G7-circuit in there.

And after all, 150$ is not expensive for a mic housing (with room for tube socket), cable, and powersupply.

We'll need a picture of the capsule if we have to guess on it's sonic qualities.. Pictures of the electronics tells little about this..

The 7025 (ECC83/12AX7) is not a good tube for microphones to say the least. But it's cheap, and it's a tube alright, so it's used in a lot of chineese mics.

Jakob E.

hg, how about you stop jumping down peoples throats for dissagreeing with you.

marik was simply saying that a 'u47' typically means m7 cap, and v14, which that has neither of, and the body doesnt even look close to a u47 except the bottom by the connector where the little label band is, total rip of ne*umann logo space.

looks more like an AT mic than a neumann.

just chill

HG;
You went from getting jumped on to being everyone
buddy when they heard the price.

The tube is a 12AX7 sino from China.
A real 7025 had a hum spec. and the heater
wires were twisted in the tube.
Lets just call it a 12AX7

A 12AT7 may be a better choise but you may need to change
the plate resistors.

http://www.takstar.com.br/ing_home.htm
They are in Brazil
Rfreddy (spelling) is in Brazil right?????
I smell a group buy already.
Do you smell it????

Looks like a superlux/tenlux capsule. The tube looks like the china 12at7 from the plate structure. Transformer looks on the small side.

HG Whats up! Marik is a good guy!

There are a number of us here who actually build microphones some even build capsules and transformers.

Ther is a alot of crap on the web about u47 c12 etc clones. That is bad for the beginner that has not heard the real thing. The bad clones might not be bad sounding sometimes but they are often nothing like the numbers say.

Some companys make better clones

HG are you for real or just trying to stir stuff up?

More than any other mic, the U47 has been copied. There must be at least 30 copies out there. Of that 30, there is only 1 perhaps 2, I know of that actually has made any attempt to actually copy the U47 circuit(Pearlman?). Gunters mic is not a clone, its actually a Neumann.

This website here is littered with posts describing U47 clones because everyone knows that whats being described is the shape of the mic. I've got two photos up precisely because it isn't a U47 circuit and gee wizzz thats not VF14 tube? Excuse me for being so stupid!

I would guess it is made by Tenlux. They often have the transformer on the pcb whereas Feilo puts it in a metal can near the plug. The frequency plots don't look too good to me (if they are accurate, that is). Look at the scaling. The omni has a very serious HF boost, the other two patterns look scooped in the mids.

Designwise the top is taken from an AKG Solidtube, the bottom looks Neumann-esque. I've seen prettier housings. Definitely no similarity to a U47.

HG, don't call anybody a moron, especially not Marik. He sure knows his shit.

Hey, I post here because I don't know as much as you and I respect what you guys are doing. But I'm not stupid, and theres no need to be insulting, especially when everyone here knows exactly what a U47 clone is.

Latest posts

Back