So many capsules.. Which one, why?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Songguy

Hi all,
Just wrapping up my mk47 mic and am trying to decide on which capsule to get.

Can someone make a couple of suggestions as to what capsules I might want to look into and why?
Cheers,
Chris

Thiersch is good, and Beez Kneez have also gotten favourable reviews.

Yes, but both outside the budget.
As would be Tim Campbell's CT-12, but that one would make less sense in this case anyway.

Have to go.
Back with a list soon.

OK, so let's narrow it down to either M7 or K47 type.

M7
The older type of the two, with glued edges. The originals had PVC membranes. These get brittle in the long run, but are nevertheless preferred by quite a few. Typical choices would be:
-Vintage Neumann. Good chance it had or needs a re-skin. This can be done with Mylar. For a PVC re-skin, Siegfried Thiersch is the man. All-in-all, unless you get lucky, the vintage one will be above the budget, I'd say.
-Vintage or new Gefell ("eastern" Neumann). They still make 'em and with PVC to boot, but (if not in a new mic) likely only as a replacement/repair.
-Siegfried Thiersch (old Gefell employee) makes a very nice M7, both in Mylar (or similar material) and in PVC. Pricey, though.
-Dale M7. This one (no PVC) is within your budget. It gets good reviews, also on this forum.

K47
Neumanns M7 successor. Screwed at the edges. Typically with Mylar membranes. Choices, more or less in price order:
-Original Neumann, either vintage or new. The latter only as a replacement. Above the budget.
-Beesneez K7. Very popular lately, but expensive. Somewhat less expensive are his K47a/b/c. For info, phoning works best.
-MBHO/Haun. Another German manufacturer. Makes capsules for various microphone brands. Brauner and Horch come to mind. Very good quality and not quite as expensive as Neumann, from what I know. Don't know if they'll sell single ones, though.
-Peluso. Within the budget.
-Equinox. Within the budget. (Do you already have one? I didn't quite understand.)
-Microphone Parts. Chinese, like the latter. Less expensive, but still with good quality control and added individual frequency plots.
-WGT and Ningbo Tongxin. Inexpensive, especialy in bulk (see recent groupbuy thread). Quality is a whole lot better than the usual 32mm K67 joke that's in most Chinese mics (and that's virtually always used with the wrong circuit (not de-emphasized). But at this price, quality control might be a problem; the judges here are still out. A little too soon to say maybe, but overall these seem to be pretty good value.

As a rule, you get what you pay for. But as always, there'll be exceptions.

The wife needs the computer, so this is it for now.

Wow!! MA thanks so much for taking time with your detailed response. I have plenty to take a look at now.

Agreed.

Would really like hear from those who have experience with some of the aforementioned capsules and what qualities you feel they bring to the sonic table... ::)

micaddict said:
Yes, but both outside the budget.

Outside the budget? 

Thiersch is in around 275Eur(for pvc!) and the Beez Kneez k47 type is in around 340 aud.
If you haven't read anything about Thiersch(or Ben), i'd recommend doing some of your own research. Also, if your not willing to spend a few bucks more(like...~50 bucks)...your probably better spending $30 on a chinese knockoff and calling it a day.

In fact, for Thiersch's level of authenticity and his experience...i'm surprised his capsules aren't closer to 500. I'd be more inclined to say...people are LUCKY to even get access to his level of work for so little.

Outside the budget? 

Thiersch is in around 275Eur(for pvc!) and the Beez Kneez k47 type is in around 340 aud.
If you haven't read anything about Thiersch(or Ben), i'd recommend doing some of your own research. Also, if your not willing to spend a few bucks more(like...~50 bucks)...your probably better spending $30 on a chinese knockoff and calling it a day.

In fact, for Thiersch's level of authenticity and his experience...i'm surprised his capsules aren't closer to 500. I'd be more inclined to say...people are LUCKY to even get access to his level of work for so little.

The Beesneez K7 is $500.- as can be seen in the link I provided. (The folks in the Beesneez K7 groupbuy got lucky, although some thouht differently at the time.) The K47c is $343.85 (Australian), so still over $300.-. Not saying one shouldn't stretch the budget to get it, mind. That wasn't the question. Not yet, anyway.
As for Thiersch, I see varying quotes and most are quite a bit over $300.- Not talking euros here, and again, not saying they ain't worth it. I guess I'd better contact him myself for a quote. I could use an M7.

This is research.

Thanks to (most) of my esteemed colleagues on this board I now have information as to what capsule manufacturers I may want to research. That research, combined with the experiences people have had with those capsules and manufacturers will aid in my ultimate decision of a purchase. If my research dictates that what I need costs $500-1000 so be it.

I really hope they find a cure for rectal-cranial inversion.

Songguy said:
This is research.

Thanks to (most) of my esteemed colleagues on this board I now have information as to what capsule manufacturers I may want to research. That research, combined with the experiences people have had with those capsules and manufacturers will aid in my ultimate decision of a purchase. If my research dictates that what I need costs $500-1000 so be it.

Chris, i was mostly speaking to micaddict, in that, who gives a ***t about $50...as long as one's spending money on a good product that will do a good job for a long time. I know you see it that way as well...

The best K47, is the Neumann k47...but it costs $800-$1000...if a person can get one. Thiersch has been working on microphones in Germany, for German microphone companies including Neumann, for 30 years. So...he's got alot of experience; his capsules are cheap when you think about it.

Wagner had amazing sounding capsules...but i don't think you can get them anymore. http://www.wagner-microphones.com/

Getting a k47/m7-type to sound like the real deal is extremely difficult...so if you want your mic to sound good...i'd suggest trusting in someone who has most experience and reputation. That's what i would do anyways...

ps - Gefell will not sell their capsules seperately.

Chris, i was mostly speaking to micaddict, in that, who gives a ***t about $50...as long as one's spending money on a good product that will do a good job for a long time. I know you see it that way as well...

Who says I don't see it that way? I just took the OP's words as a reference:
Up to $300

My personal capsule of choice for a mic with the MK47 circuit would be much like yours (desol), I guess. But that wasn't the point. At least, not yet.

I agree with Desol.

Money spent on "decent" capsule is insane if you can get the best for just bit more.

A great capsule will serve it's duties for decades but semi-decent that costs 200-300$ will just leave you wondering if you should have put few hundred $'s more in. Considering the importance of a capsule in a condenser mic, capsules are still pretty cheap, except maybe Neumann's.

Latest posts

Back