Hardware Multiband Stereo Imaging? DIY? does it exist?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and i didn't mean MS-eq'ing

let's say i'd like to make eveything between 1kHz and 2kHz mono... or 'less stereo'... ozone will do that perfectly.

But i was wondering is there are any hardware solutions, preferably diy..

i know this should be a closed thread but i was just thinking about a multiband ms processor and found this, something like:

3-4 way crossover (6 or 12dB/octave) ---- stereo to MS ---- adjust MS level ---- MS to stereo ---- mix 3-4 bands into stereo out

i don't think this would be complicated, isn't it?

didn't know of elliptical eq....

is multiband MS processing a crazy idea? seems pretty feasible to me, buffers to split frequency bands, M and S controls, enconde to stereo again and simple summing with level gain for each band

elliptical equalizer : A special equalizer which causes the two channels of a stereo signal to be more nearly in phase at low frequencies, making the signal easier to cut into a record.  In short it's a stereo eq used in making vinyl. at a certain frequency point and below the signal is mono while above the frequency point the signal is stereo. Who needs bass in stereo anyway ;)

hazel said:
didn't know of elliptical eq....

is multiband MS processing a crazy idea? seems pretty feasible to me, buffers to split frequency bands, M and S controls, enconde to stereo again and simple summing with level gain for each band

Have you ever felt the need to use multiband M/S compression? I use MBC on a daily basis and on one project every couple of years I think it might be useful.

Gold said:
Have you ever felt the need to use multiband M/S compression? I use MBC on a daily basis and on one project every couple of years I think it might be useful.
I use MBC on just about every project but have never felt the need for any kind of M/S processing.

hazel said:
didn't know of elliptical eq...
See attached schemo.
is multiband MS processing a crazy idea?
Not crazy, but I doubt it's as useful as you think it may be. Most of the stereo imaging is taken care of in the mix; your vocals are probably aldready dead-center, now if there is something that you feel is too widespread in the midrange, put your electric guitars and keys in mono.
seems pretty feasible to me, buffers to split frequency bands, M and S controls, enconde to stereo again and simple summing with level gain for each band
That is certainly feasible, although you may end up with weird effects if you're not careful with your crossovers.

Attachments

• elliptic EQ.jpg
    elliptic EQ.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 41
Thanks for your replies!

I suffered some kind of GEEK-GAS-DIY! I'm just finishing THAT 1512 mic preamp and i wondered how about MS processor but, as Abbey Road said, it won't be useful for me, i tend to mix jazz and classical without any dynamic or stereo processing.

Maybe a solid state Pultec or Neumann w492.....hummmmm

Latest posts

Back