Otari 5050 button help -- solved !

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seditionary

Hi, we have an Otari 5050 machine -- 1/2" tape, 4 track… old LA Universal Studios machine.  The machine runs perfectly, but when trying to change tape speeds… it just stops functioning.  Do you guys know what this could be?  Where I should look to fix the problem, etc?  I think it might have happened from changing tape speeds too frequently… pushing the button in and out… Thanks

your problem is likely to be dirty contacts on the button. This is a common problem with older 5050's.
Put some sprayon contact cleaner in the button, and then operate the button 20 times.

To be more specific, try a minimal schpritz of ProGold in there and exercise as suggested.

Also, surround the switchbank with paper towels like a surgeon.  You want to prevent ANY spray from going on rubber parts back there.
Mike

thanks guys! !

you were right on radardoug!  the problem was a dirty button.  i used qd electronic cleaner.  i didn't see any rubber components inside, so i skipped the paper towel and just sprayed away.

it works again!  amazing.  thanks again!  back to messing with tape speeds!  HA HA  :D

now if i only could get my vp26 to start working i'd really be in business :)  soon, soon.

cheers, y'all  ;)

Latest posts

Back