TLA (TL Audio)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pucho812 said:
I got this

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

Maybe there is a due bill or something?

Yes, that's exactly what I got. You don't think they are in financial trouble do you?

Cheers

ian

Let's hope this is not the start of a trend. I read in the paper today that the UK has officially gone into recession again.

Cheers

Ian

I think it is a trend.  I don't hear about anyone shopping for anything new, if it can be had second hand.  Only new if just introduced.  There's so much recording equipment available on the used market.

On the other hand a great time for the repair shops. People are having their units repaired instead of buying new stuff.

unfortunately I dont see any bright future ahead: simply put rich are getting richer, poor are getting poorer, and banks (along with the big 20 people in the world) are controlling everything from how much meat people should eat to which is the next country that "needs democracy" with war of course...

my 2 cents....

Mattia.

Like one Irishman said recently,

Now that they found oil off the Cork coast, I recon the Americans will be here within five years to liberate us and restore democracy.

It's also the taxes that add up to not buying new things around here , as well as
true quality is becoming harder to afford , so buy disposable [ unreliable  ] or
get a classic [ solid ] piece one at a time .  better or cheaper ?

your mortgage shouldn't be more than 35% of your income and you should put away 3%
of the house value  / year for maintenace, but who lives like that ?
I personally can't live much cheaper than i do and you only have so much time to work
but the politicians will be o.k. with a nice pension for all their valuable work .
Buy local when you can

Kingston said:

Now that they found oil off the Cork coast, I recon the Americans will be here within five years to liberate us and restore democracy.

Yeah, that's americans in a nutschell  :eek: :eek: :eek:

mata_haze said:
unfortunately I dont see any bright future ahead: simply put rich are getting richer, poor are getting poorer, and banks (along with the big 20 people in the world) are controlling everything from how much meat people should eat to which is the next country that "needs democracy" with war of course...

my 2 cents....

Mattia.

A bright future will not happen by itself, and we now are struggling with pay back after governments spending too much borrowed money.

Some governments still haven't figured this out, and others are having fiscal discipline forced on them by bond markets that refuse to keep lending to these bottomless black holes.

I agree the near term will be difficult, much more difficult for some countries than others.

I have seen tremendous increases in wealth for the poor in China over the last 10 years. One of the biggest complaints the PC police could come up with to tar Apple's CM labor practices in China was 60 hour work weeks,,, I suspect lots of unemployed workers wouldn't mind some extra hours.

Of course as developing markets rise, many who were enjoying a disproportionately easy ride in the west will suffer from the increased competition for the same work.  This is not a zero sum game, and the total pie is getting larger, but the wealth does not flow to everybody the same.

Government taking to redistribute wealth has never worked, and will not work now.

JR

ksor said:
Kingston said:

Yeah, that's americans in a nutschell  :eek: :eek: :eek:

Opinions vary... Based on that logic we need to invade Alaska to restore democracy there...  8)

I hope Ireland can take advantage of any opportunity they have to improve their conditions.

JR

okgb said:
It's also the taxes that add up to not buying new things around here ,
When will governments understand that all government spending, displaces private economic activity, that is much more productive.
as well as
true quality is becoming harder to afford ,
Quality is often misapplied to refer to premium products with high feature content. Quality simply means meeting the product's expectations for function and performance.

While it is nice to always surround ourselves with premium product, I find many modern offerings of value product that are remarkably competent for occasional use.

One example that comes to mind, I recently needed to replace a bicycle tire pump, because my old one gave up the ghost after more decades than I can easily recall and was too cheap to even attempt repair. I didn't pay much for it when new, and i replaced it at walmart for only $10.  The replacement seems more than adequately robust, better than the original, and even if it doesn't last for three or 4 decades, that's OK because I won't be around that long either.    :p
so buy disposable [ unreliable  ] or
get a classic [ solid ] piece one at a time .  better or cheaper ?
classic conundrum... buy once cry once with premium tools, or buy cheap and pay over and over again when some inadequate tool fails to perform as needed.
your mortgage shouldn't be more than 35% of your income and you should put away 3%
of the house value  / year for maintenace, but who lives like that ?
I wish the US  had a fraction of the discipline that Canada applies to housing. The bleeding hearts here, confuse appearances with reality, and used their legislative influence to put people into homes they couldn't ever afford, assuming all the good things associated with home ownership would magically accumulate to all these new homeowners. We are still dealing with the hangover from that, and must keep an eye on those inclined to attempt another quick fix.

Another unrecognized (yet) problem from similar government management of appearance rather than reality is the student loan programs. Just like home ownership was supposed to deliver huge benefits to a new expanded group of home owners, simply opening the spigot on government college loans to make it easier to pay for college, did not magically afford this expanded group of college graduates the high earnings potential college graduates historically enjoyed. Instead they have dumbed down colleges to accommodate marginal students and removed market price discipline that allowed college costs to increase astronomically. The result just like the unfortunate upside down home owners, we now have college graduates with a degree in basket weaving or whatever, saddled with huge loan debt they must now pay back. Trying to get gainful employment in a economy they are poorly prepared for. Many would be better served by a trade education.

If I was a less trusting soul I'd suspect the government was trying to get even more voters beholding to them with the easy loans. For now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt as having good intentions, while being very poorly informed about cause and effect in (mostly) free markets. 
I personally can't live much cheaper than i do and you only have so much time to work
I don't live in MS because I appreciate the local culture.  :eek:  It's cheaper here.
but the politicians will be o.k. with a nice pension for all their valuable work .
I'd like to make them use obamacare like they force us to.
Buy local when you can
Doesn't work for my tire pump... For $10 locally, I could rent some air at the local gas station. I am quite happy with my "made in China"  tire pump. Economic activity needs to flow freely to where it can be the most effective and efficient. This means some of us will need to learn new gigs.. I am working with technology now that wasn't even in science fiction back when I didn't finish school.

The small couple dollar processors I program on now are more powerful than the room full of IBM 360 that I used process my freshman engineering homework from Hollerith punch cards, that would tell me 2x2=3.997...(using Fortran).

Times change and we must too. Since we are now competing on a worldwide playing field, we must work harder or smarter (I prefer the latter), or fall behind.  Longing for the good old days will not accomplish anything.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Opinions vary... Based on that logic we need to invade Alaska to restore democracy there... 

Last I checked, Alaska was a part of the fifty states already. Or did I miss some massive internal conflict you guys have had recently? I would have thought a new independent Alaska would have made world wide news.

I visited TL's production facility about 10 years ago. Having worked on and off in manufacturing for well over 20 yrs now, I have to say I was impressed. It was a typical small, 'cellular' type of arrangement. The link cites production as the reason for their demise... Either it's just impossible to manufacture that nature of goods in the UK now, or serious mis-management occurred. Back then TL was divided into 2 sections, with 'Sonic Touch' handling design + assembly, independently from the main brand. Either Mr Kempson retired and the new manager screwed up, or other factors have been at play here... Personally, I would've suspected that manufacturing was *not* the weak link in the chain here...judging on reputation and all that... Nothing more to add.

J

Kingston said:
JohnRoberts said:
Opinions vary... Based on that logic we need to invade Alaska to restore democracy there... 

Last I checked, Alaska was a part of the fifty states already. Or did I miss some massive internal conflict you guys have had recently? I would have thought a new independent Alaska would have made world wide news.

Sorry, I forgot to add a laughing emoticon to communicate that i was being sarcastic.

Our government is not as proactive about developing our own energy reserves as yours is.  Alaska has huge proven oil reserves on federal land that the government has kept locked in. Only recently in an election year flip-flop to diffuse blame over rising gas pump prices has the administration offered some offshore leases in Alaska.

Sorry about the veer but this is a campaign year, so we are well into the silly season of political hyperbole.

JR

Back