C12 circuit with Vienna capsule frankenstein test

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary o

Knocked up the circuit for a Studio Projects TB1 which I understand is basically the circuit for C12?..........using ADK Vienna capsule as its said to be a decent copy of C12 capsule.......done very un scientific recordings of ADK & frankenstein ( which I call the UB1 stands for ugly bastard the UB1 sounds very similar but has more detail, you could say the ADK is smoother, its interesting seems to follow the electronics makes a small difference, might try the ADK capsule in maxes MK47 for fun....

Further experiments I made a Ela 251 circuit used a 1 gig grid resistor for a full fat bass sound (also used 1 gig grid in TB1) used same tube to my ears sounds the same as TB1 circuit.....
I then made a Ela 251 circuit as per the AC701 version but I used a CV465 instead of AC701 used same components as per AKG m251 AC701 version apart from again I used 1 gig grid resistor again the result is sounds the same to me as 6072 version maybe a tad smoother.......

I read CV465 /5840 is electrically similar to AC701......should I change any of the component values, plate resistor cathode resistor........

here is link to schematics
http://www.filmsoundsweden.se/backspegel/akg-c12vr.html

Ive made the mic so I can quickly swap the electronics leaving ADK Vienna C12 ish capsule on the mic & the vintage T14 tran in place I have now added the cathode follower to the C12 ish TB1 circuit same 1 gig grid resistor.....I was expecting output to be higher.......is similar level & sound with quick listen is again very similar basically I cant say which sounds best of TB1 C12, Ela 251 with 6072, ela 251 with Cv465.......fun experiment tho.....think I will go back to TB1 C12 ish as I have more 6072 tubes & it only uses 1 half........I might have a play with a G7 circuit next.....

Back